Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:54:50 AM

Author Topic: Strange Pin Response  (Read 2389 times)

Strange Pin Response
« on: December 21, 2015, 09:03:23 PM »
Hey all. I'm new to the forum and new to using Mach software.

I currently am running mach3 on a Compaq PC running Windows Vista home 32 bit. The computer didnt have a parallel port, so I bought an expansion card from frys (SYBA SD-PCI-1P). I was able to install the software for everything and get most of the motors in my system to work. Mostly...

Using the cheapo Chinese knockoff 3 axis controller with the tb6560. It requires the Yenable on Pin2, Ydir on Pin 3, and Ystep on pin 8. Using these settings, I could only jog this axis in one direction. After some experimentation on two different controller boards, and breaking out my multimeter, I see to be having issues with Pin 2. If I try to jog in either direction, the direction pin goes high/low like normal. If i try to jog in either direction, the step pin will pulse, like normal.

BUT if I attempt to jog in one direction, it will disable the enabling pin until I jog the opposite direction. It makes no sense to me why it would do this. I assure you all, it is not the cheap controller. I tried on my better controller, using just pin 2  direction and pin 3 for steps. It caused erratic motor motion. I really need pin 2. I even tried using Mach4 and the newer Darwin drivers, same issue.

Has anyone run into a similar issue?
Is it possible to check/change source code of the program?
Are there incompatible expansion cards?

any advice is good advice

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Pin Response
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 02:48:32 AM »
My initial thoughts are that pin2 is the Y axis direction pin rather than the enable.

By 'expansion card' I am assuming you mean 'parallel port card' ?

Can you attach your .xml file (rename it something unique to be able to attach - brian.xml should be good).

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 03:06:17 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 11:02:27 AM »
Sounds like you have conflicting pin assignments Double check your Mach3 config settings.

(;-) TP
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 01:32:43 PM »
I can rest assured that the guys at SOC Robotics know how to properly document their hardware.. So I spent more hours looking for people who've used the similar controller board. Nothing is different..

So, I'm using the Darwin plugin for Mach4 to test my Parallel Card. It would seem that (if I disable everything but one output pin and cycle through) that Pin 2 cycles only 0-1.5V and Pin 3 cycles only 1.5-4.6V
One isnt fully engaging, and the other not fully disengaging. Weird.. I'm going to try and swap the parallel card today and try again.

Where can I find this xml file that was asked for? I may be new to Mach3, but I didnt get a degree in engineering to screw up pin assignments in the program lol

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 01:57:38 PM »
What you have to understand , To us those are famous last words (;-) We have heard them thousands of times over the years.

Looks like you found the problem (;-)

(;-) TP
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 02:15:17 PM »
Yeah it is weird.. dis/enabling pin 2/3 does affect the other, even though it shouldnt. I even found that this particular card has a different chipset than what is shown on the box. Reinstalled new drivers, same freakin problem.. Can anyone recommend a PCI parallel expansion card that is known to work?

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 04:18:05 PM »
I use LAVA brand LPT cards they are top dawg in my book.

(;-) TP