Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:36:24 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 10 slot tool carousel tool changer.  (Read 4967 times)

Mach3 10 slot tool carousel tool changer.
« on: November 21, 2015, 07:52:16 PM »
Hello, I am attempting to make a 10 slot carousel tool changer and looking for help with writing the Macro code using Cypress Basic.  I have the mechanics of how I want it to work but putting it into words using CB is the killer.  I dont have the tool changer built yet but I do have all the components.  I will have a PDB activated with an Air solenoid through one of the Solid State Relays  I have in the control box.  The carousel will be turned by a Nema 23 stepper motor.  The carousel will go into position with an air cylinder operated with an Air solenoid valve and another Solid State Relay.  I also have another Air Solenoid to give a blast of air onto the tool after it is put into the carousel.

I understand the steps that have to take place for it all to work, I just don't know how to tell it to do it.  Any help would be very much appreciated or at least a point in the right direction.  I have the Mach3 Version 3.x Macro Programmers Reference Manual as well as all the DRO, OEM button codes.

Thanks,

J

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 10 slot tool carousel tool changer.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 08:01:39 PM »
you have to know what outputs you use for each solenoid.you must calibrate the carousel in degrees where 1  revolution = 360 degs of the rotary axis(a,b or c). You also MUST have a home switch somewhere on the carousel .

You get all that working correctly and I can show you how to do the M6 macro.

(;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 08:55:31 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I do know what the Solid State relays will run as far as OutPuts.  What I was confused on was how would the carousel know where to stop for each tool.  Yes a switch or a magnetic pickup on the carousel hub would do the trick.  The Carousel air cylinder piston is magnetic, so I will have a limit switch on the input side to tell mach3 that the cylinder is in the retracted or extended mode.  Same goes for the PBD.  I will have to look into what would be the best setup for the pickup for the carousel location.   There is a lot to think about but one process at a time right! 

Thanks,

J

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 09:44:14 PM »
YOU may want a poximity switch at each end of stroke for the cylinders to verify it is on location. On the carousel you ONLY need 1 home switch to REFHOME so the ATC will know where it is .  The macro will take care of the rest.

(;-) TP
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 10:36:32 PM »
Yes for sure on the Proximity switches.  I have a two on the carousel cylinder and two on the Pancake cylinder (those things are not cheap)!  
OutPut3 is for my coolant

Output4 is for the Carousel Air Cylinder Valve

Output5 is for the PDB Air Cylinder Valve

OutPut7 is for the Air Blast valve to clean the tool when put back into the carousel.

What I do need, is to figure out what a good home switch will be for the tool carousel.  I understand the need for a home switch on that carousel.  If the carousel is homed, it should  know what tool is in the slot at home through the macro.   I still need to wire up the limit switches for the ATC.  I am not sure how I will go about this in my control box but I have a pretty good idea.  The real estate inside my control box is getting tight. I am running out of I/O in the control box.  I went with the CNC4PC's c32 board with the ESS.  The machine has been down for a while, I had to put linear rials on the Z axis of the machine.

Thanks for the ideas and help so far.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 03:26:13 PM »
We will be waiting for the videos!
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 06:52:09 PM »
Well it will be a while still having some parts made that I cannot do, but they should be done soon.  I still have to machine the PDB and treadmill motor brackets as well.  I have everything drawn up in CAD and CAM.  It has been a slow process but will be worth it in the end, good things take time.

Thanks for every ones input and help so far.
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 12:18:17 PM »
Ok I have another question for those who are way more advanced than myself on this topic.  I am going to use the Geneva mechanism for my 12 tool carousel.  I want to use a stepper motor (Nema34) since I have a Gecko 203V sitting idle in my control box.  What stepper motor do the experts recommend, Geared stepper or non geared stepper?  If a geared stepper motor what type of gear ratio?  I have looked at 20:1 and 9:1 ratios.  Any ideas or insight would be appreciated.  This is the website that I got my info on the dimensions for the Geneva Mechanism from. http://benbrandt22.github.io/genevaGen/

Jeff
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 12:20:21 PM »
From this website http://benbrandt22.github.io/genevaGen/     I plugged in 12 in the numbers of positions spot. 

Jeff