Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:14:15 PM

Author Topic: Limit switches lost  (Read 2959 times)

Limit switches lost
« on: November 16, 2015, 04:20:21 PM »
My desktop mill has been operational for several years in the same configuration with no problem referencing all the axis home or individually.  Today when trying to move an axis to home, it overruns the limit switch and keep trying to go.  I need to hit stop for the steppers to stop.  All three of the limit switches are not operational.

The computer hasn't had internet access for years.

The mill has a Gecko G540.  I checked the limit switches at the Gecko input strip and they all complete the circuit when closed (with all power to the Gecko off).

I went to the Mach diagnostics screen and got no inputs lighting up when closing the limit switches manually.

I tried auto setting the limit switches, but the program could not see an input change.  It did reference making sure the parallel port was configured correctly in windows (XP).  Searching here and I couldn't find any help on that.

I can load g-code and run it.  The reason I am trying to fix the limit switch issue is that running a 3D roughing program today, midway through it the mill tried to go off the table in negative X, that got me thinking the setup has lost its place maybe by never having been home.

Question #1 - Did I (operator error) turn off the limit switches?
Question #2 - How do I determine if the parallel printer port is configured correctly? 
Question #3 - Some posts talk about setting up a new profile.  Would this help?

As a last resort I could change out the G540, but want that to be the last option.  It had all worked for quite some time, not a lot of hours.

Steve.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Limit switches lost
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 01:39:21 AM »
Hi Steve,

Please can you attach your .xml file then we can see what is going on with your setup.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 09:34:49 AM »
Attached are two xml, the one with suffix (2) is when I was playing with increasing the stepper velocity a day ago, before that it was the same since November 2011.

Steve.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 09:38:33 AM by sawduststeve »
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 04:43:08 PM »
I changed the Gecko G540 with a new G540 and the home switches are still not seen in the diagnostics or "automated setup of ports and pins".

I also checked all of the wiring and the switches are good going into the G540. 

Steve.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 04:24:23 AM »
Hi Steve,

If you have not tried this already...

In your Mach3 folder you will have xmlbackups. Choose an earlier version (well before the problems started), rename it to have the .xml file extension and copy it into the Mach3 folder (it will overwrite the existing version so perhaps make a copy so you can always go back, if necessary).

Try that and report back - I will keep my fingers crossed  :).

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 09:33:23 AM »
Choose an earlier version (well before the problems started)   Try that and report back
That had no affect, I went back to the 2011 xml that was attached to earlier post.  Did you get any chance to review them for improper settings?

I am convincing myself that there is something wrong with the computer LPT.  I could work around not having the home switches, but do not have confidence other communication through the LPT may become corrupted.  Today, I am going to replace the computer with one I had for backup.

I have sent two emails to Gecko for anything they might know, but have not gotten a response.

Steve.

Re: Limit switches lost - SOLVED!!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 06:56:10 PM »
I know not to assume anything, but it happened.  In tracing the home limit/home switch wiring I used a ground that was easy to get to.  There is a DB9 in the switch wiring and the ground wire backed out just enough to create an open circuit.  It is always so apparent what the problem was after you figure it out.

Steve.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 02:52:14 AM »
I am pleased you found it Steve  :)

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 03:23:37 PM »
It is usually something simple. Fortunately this time, cheap too.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)