Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:47:12 PM

Author Topic: losing z-axis motor function  (Read 2055 times)

losing z-axis motor function
« on: November 30, 2015, 05:35:21 PM »
Hi All,

I recently purchased a pre-built 3 axis router and am stuck on a problem that is over my head.  I'm new to CNC and just getting up to speed on how the wiring for all the parts hook together to work with Mach3.

My problem is that after the machine is running for a few minutes, I lose control of the z-axis... it's as if there is no more power or communication going on any more.  I can freely turn the pulley by hand to move the axis up and down.  I have to turn off both Mach and the controller to regain control.  They x and y axis work fine.

I've checked for loose connections, I've swapped the y and z servo drives and my next step would be to swap the y and z servo motors.

There is no diagnostic information generated at anytime while the machine is running.

Is there something basic that I've overlooked?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: losing z-axis motor function
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 02:00:55 AM »
From what you describe it is not a Mach3 software problem.

If your machine has a separate axis Enable signal for the Z axis then that is perhaps the first area to check (assuming your Z axis servo motor checks out OK).

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 01:43:07 PM »
You were absolutely right, it was not a mach3 issue.  I went to switch motors and discovered that one of the wires on the encoder plug was faulty.  Replaced the pin and it now works.

Tweakie, you mentioned to enable the signal on the z-axis.. not sure how to do that... and would that have alerted me that something wasn't right.  Better yet, would it have allowed Mach3 to shut down processing?

thanks

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 01:01:21 AM »
Hi Palo,

No sir.

I was referring to an 'enable signal' which some controller boards require in order for an axis (or group of axes) to be energized.

Tweakie.
PEACE