Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:46:53 AM

Author Topic: Losing Zero  (Read 9243 times)

Re: Losing Zero
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2015, 12:45:14 AM »
Hi russh,
followed up and searched for your machine and it lists servos as an option, microstepping stepper motor as standard.
I imagine you would know if you had paid extra for servos.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline bfgstew

•  91 91
  • DOH!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2015, 02:21:03 AM »
Russ, it may sound daft, but have you checked the electrics/electronics. It does begin to sound as though something in that direction is not set correctly, voltage, amps, steps, loose wire maybe. Just a thought because the machine itself does look a good one.

Stewart
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2015, 05:26:01 AM »
Hi Russ, I think Stewarts suggestion is very good. I rather think the manufacturer would be reluctant to release a machine that did not
perform as advertised given that the controller is Mach3 and any problems will be aired on the forum, the very same customers the
manufacturer is trying to attract.
There are articles on the net about stepper torque and microstepping, I have lost the links tho. The upshot is that deep microstepping
causes torque to decrease even worse than running them at speed.
May I suggest that you disable microstepping, most likely switches or jumpers on your drives, and rerun your test. Given that the z axis seems to be
the problem child just the z axis will do. The articles I have read suggest that half stepping actually improves torque, 120% of full step torque. Set your
drives to half step.
It may well mean your resolution is less than you would like but probably a good experiment which may help you to  home in on the fault without
having to spend anything or pull things to bits.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2015, 08:00:14 AM »
Hi Guys,

Please don’t get dragged into this micro-stepping / torque myth.
There is so much garbage posted on the net about this - go to the stepper driver chip manufacturers sites for the true information regarding the micro-stepping torque figures.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline russh

•  40 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2016, 06:46:32 PM »
Guys,

Huge apologies for not getting back with some motor info sooner, I've not been too well in health lately so had to down tool for a while.

I managed to get at the Machine yesterday to try and find a data label on the axis driver motors, unfortunately there is not a single label on them, so other than the following picture, I don't have much to offer and not sure what I can do.
The manufacturer is uncontactable unfortunately!

Offline bfgstew

•  91 91
  • DOH!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2016, 11:23:03 AM »
Hi Russ, hope your feeling better?

Now these look like steppers and not servos, can't tell from the pics what size they are so do a quick measure of the front mounting plate and see what size you get, measure in imperial.............2.3" = NEMA 23, 3.4" = NEMA 34 and 4.2" = NEMA 42. We can then take it from there.

Offline russh

•  40 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2016, 07:22:20 AM »
Hi Stew,

The size of them is just shy of 3.4", and have a length of around 4.5"

Offline bfgstew

•  91 91
  • DOH!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2016, 07:56:20 AM »
OK Russ, these are NEMA 34 motors, unfortunately without any details on the ratings we can't check if you have the electronics set up accordingly.
Did you buy the machine brand new or second hand?
My suggestion is to contact  the manafacturers directly and see if they can give you direct support, we can only guess and estimate with the details you give us and it can be frustrating for both sides.
Hope you get it sorted Russ as it does look a neat machine.

Stewart

Offline russh

•  40 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2016, 08:00:28 AM »
Hi Stewart,

I've tried to contact the manufacturer a number of time with no response, and to be honest I'm down right annoyed with them as they have cost me thousands of dollars in orders that this machine was bought for.

If there is anything you can advise on checking as starting points I would be grateful

Thanks

Russ

Offline g21

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2016, 08:13:36 AM »
Hello Russ,

Please check your PM's and email.

Thanks!

JB