Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:05:36 AM

Author Topic: Need help. Motors dont work properly.  (Read 5059 times)

Need help. Motors dont work properly.
« on: October 27, 2015, 06:13:15 PM »
Hello everyone, Im Andy. I am very new to this forum and not really sure if this is being posted in the correct place or not(moderator, please correct me if I'm wrong by moving this thread). I have read MANY threads on all kinds of problems. I just haven't found a thread on my problem. I guess the best way to start is to tell you what I have:

Mach3 3.043.066  using the Mach3Turn profile
PMDX-126
PMDX-133
G203V
PCI p-port which is ECP

calculations: 5mm/rev of the ball screw. So that's 25.4/5=5.08 turns of screw to get 1 unit. A ratio of 2.5:1 reduction from motor then 5.08*2.5=12.7 turns of motor to get 1 unit inch(im setup in inches also). motor is a 1.8deg... G203V are 10 micro so that's 2000/rev. 2000*12.7=25400 pulses/unit.

Im including pics on everything too so that you can see what I have. I have made outputs and inputs work fine. For example: turning off/on the coolant pump via K2 and home switch's turn on for the corresponding switch.

The problem is when I go to the tuning dialog window thingie I put in the pulses per unit and I first try 0us and 0us. When I try the up/down arrow keys my motors "click" in one direction then "click" back in the other direction. I have heard people calling the "glitching" or "hick-ups" on this forum so maybe that's what its called. But either way I can not get it to smoothly move in either direction. Same is true for the other axis.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't know what to do. I'm at my wits end, please help.  (insert guy praying here)

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Need help. Motors dont work properly.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 08:27:38 PM »
I put in the pulses per unit and I first try 0us and 0us.

Try 10 and 10 and see if it helps.

Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 09:03:11 PM »
Don't use V0.066 it has known problems and read someplace (can't recall)... V0.066 turn is loaded with bugs. Version 0.062 is the last stable version.
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 05:30:45 PM »
ger21,
I will try 10us and 10us and see if that helps. If it doesn't help the next step is to try geh7552's idea.

geh7552,
how do I find V.062? I did a quick search on their website and cant seem to find it.  maybe you can point me in the right direction to get that version.

right now my gecko drives are with my electrical engineer to test them out and make sure they are working properly. when they are both powered up and enabled, only one of them has holding torque. so I could have a few issues.

Thank you to both of you :)
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 07:28:13 PM »
Mach 3 website---> Updates---> Software Downloads--->FTP---> Mach 3 folder. Then download V.062

I don't know why ArtSoft still list .066 on their website. It should be removed.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 12:52:57 PM »
ger21, The 10us and 10us didn't change anything.

geh7552,

I uninstalled .066 and installed .062. Now nothing happens at all when I tune the motors. before I would get the "ticks" or "glitch's" that I mentioned before. now I get nothing. one motor is under holding torque and the other you can turn easily by hand. I also switched the motor connectors on the PMDX-133 and the holding torque follows the drive, meaning the other motor is now being held with holding torque and the other easily turns by hand. I also ended up sending my G203V's to Gecko for review(my electrical engineer is too busy) and they found nothing wrong with either drive. Also, both motors ohm out correctly for their individual windings and appear to be identical and wired correctly.

I don't know what to do now. any ideas?

Offline bfgstew

•  91 91
  • DOH!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 03:44:18 AM »
Did you completely uninstall Mach3? There are some hidden folders and drivers that require removing before re-installing, if in doubt Google it.

I did notice on your tuning page you have accelaration set at 0.007, that is incredibly slow, and velocity at 1.7, try increasing acceleration first, say 100.
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 10:56:31 AM »
bfgstew,

I googled it and understand what you mean about completely unistalling it. i downloaded "perfectuninstaller" and am going to use that. i can probably figure out the registry editor, but don't want to make a mistake and will try this first.

the acceleration of .007 was just what it was at when i took the picture. ive tried all variations of speeds and accels on both axis's. ive also tried from 0 to 50 in the micro seconds windows. nothing changes the fact that the motors glitch. with this new load of .062 i haven't gotten the motors to do anything yet. of course, i need to uninstall and reinstall again to make sure that's not it.

right now i am in the process of trying to figure out why both motors are NOT "locked" when theres no computer hooked up.  i have 1 motor locked but the other doesn't. as soon as i re-enable the drive it locks the motor then releases it, maybe locked for a second or two. i have switch the motor connectors on the PMDX-133 and only 1 axis locks. then i switch drives and the locked axis follows the drive. so i have ruled out a PMDX-133 problem. im going to call gecko and see if this makes sense to them and go from there.

thank you for the help.   i will repost soon with me findings.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 11:18:48 AM »
You either have a bad drive, bad motor, or faulty wiring.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 12:53:05 PM »
Everyone,

Thank you everyone for all your help. I feel like such a bone head now that I have fixed it and found out what the problem was.  this is what happened:

1. got the motors to glitch again. so good, its doing "something".  lol
2. called gecko technical support. he said to wire the G203V directly(with out the PMDX-133) with nothing connected but the power and motor windings... yes, leave all other pins open. he said the motor should have holding torque.
3. checked the holding torque and it was intermittent. as I turned the motor by hand it was oscillating.
4. check power supply voltage and it was 12VDC and not the 40VDC I measure originally about 2 months ago.  WTF!!!!!!!!!

so it comes down to the fact that a drive that requires 18-80 VDC to operate was trying to run on 12VDC!!!  LMAO!   no wonder it would "glitch" when trying to jog it. the drive had a green LED which said it was fine, but wouldnt be able to drive the motor without sufficient voltage/power. it also turned out when the power supply was asked to deliver more power it would drop voltage even further.

5. fixed power supply problem. now have 65VDC and lowered my original amps from 3 to 1.25(to try and not burn up the motors).

I have been testing and running the motors all morning!!!   they work PERFECTLY!!!   I even done the dial indicators and the repeatability is close to zero.  meaning im off by no more then .001.  sometimes its a couple tenths, due to mechanical looseness and what not.

im one happy camper!!!    im off to go make it do more things.  like:  spindle control, turret control(8 position), tool macro and chuck open and close!   the real fun begins   :)   thanks again everyone