Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 12:19:18 AM

Author Topic: photo or laser digitising  (Read 2317 times)

photo or laser digitising
« on: October 23, 2015, 12:01:24 PM »
Hey, hello all. This is my first post, fairly new to mach3. I have a few questions on digitizing a 2d profile. We have build a single purpose grinding mill. It is on mach3 (mach4 next time) We are cutting and re-cutting blades about 14" long, think of any knife profile and that's about it. We want to to digitize the 2d profile automatically of the existing blade so as to re-manufacture efficiently. The method I have used so far is manual photo. I take a picture with a linear reference, create spline data over it, scale it and off I go. I need to do this automatically, with photo or laser (sick OD mini pro). As of yet I have not set any probes up in the machine. We will try the laser soon unless some productive input sends me on a different route.

Cheers,
Kyle

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: photo or laser digitising
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 01:49:39 PM »
I do not know of ANY total concept package to do what you want( Click and Go).  Are you grinding teh outside contour or just grinding teh blade to form teh shape edge. (hollow grind,flat grind,etc).

There are several ways to get teh profile. This is a package for Cut IT that can crawl around teh profile and gather points it uses a touch probe. Then it can convert the points I believe.

Then Les over at SheetCam has a scanner package that uses a camera to SCAN teh edge of teh part and gather point to create a DXF .

I have a polar probing solution that can gather points from a touchprobe as well.

A picture of your process would help us understand exactly what you are doing and need.

(;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 02:20:22 PM »
Hello, thanks for the reply,

We will do just the outside contour only with custom from tools 2.5 axis movements. Thanks for the tip on Cut IT and sheetcam.

Tell me, can your probing solution utilize a laser probe?

I will post some pics in the future.

Thanks again for the reply,

Kyle

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 03:09:54 PM »
NO ONE does laser probing in Mach3 that I am aware of.

(;-) TP
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 06:47:34 PM »
Some CAD software supports import and vectorising of images, I use BobCAD/Cam V25 with Bob Art to create very accurate profile paths quite quickly from photographs,

- Nick