Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:43:01 AM

Author Topic: Thanks Chip!  (Read 5851 times)

Thanks Chip!
« on: May 06, 2007, 08:23:45 AM »
Chip, you are a scholar and a gentleman!  I can't thank you enough for helping me out of my Rutex, Pixie, Yaskawa servo quagmire! You give meaning to the word altruism.

Thanks so much!

Keith Clark

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks Chip!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 07:23:12 PM »
Hi, Keith

Enjoyed helping (in a small way) you sorting it out.

You did all the hard work, Glad you didn't have to go to plan C or D-yna-mite.

Put it together, Post the funniest Video Clip's also.

Thanks, Chip
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 08:05:51 PM »
I will get a video as soon as I have something good to show but there sure a lot of details to work out still.

In fact, I am now wondering how to tie in the Pixie error and reset switches.  These are at 5v and active low so I am
thinking I can connect to my Estop circuit on the Campbell board to the error so that I would get an Estop
with the Pixie error?  Then I have to reset the Pixie.  The reset could be set with a momentary switch but
I would like it to be automatically reset when I reset Mach3.  I have an output free and perhaps with a macro
the output could send a momentary signal to reset?

Thanks,

Keith
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 09:37:27 PM »
Hi

I'm having a bit of a problem with my pixies
that is I find the instructions about the seriel port
confusing

I"m going form a db25 on the host to the pixies db9,
would anyone know how to wirer this

thanks
Ben
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 10:26:16 PM »
Ben,

What is the question?  I am not understanding what the problem is.

Keith
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 10:33:00 PM »
Ben,

The serial port is connected from the Pixie card to the serial port of your computer.  This is only used to set up the board and change the parameters as well as tune the motor using the PC.  You must download the Pixie tuning program and run it from Windows with the serial port connected and the Pixie in tuning mode.  Turn on tuning mode by pressing the switch on the Pixie board.  Once the parameters and entered as you desire and the tuning parameters are set, you can save the settings from the turning software and then you don't need the serial cable anymore.  Everytime you need to change a parameter or tuning, you have to reconnect the serial cable and run the tuning program.  Does this answer your question?

Keith
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 10:34:13 PM »
Ben,

You don't need a special cable, just a normal serial cable with the DB9 connector of proper gender on the Pixie side and whatever connector you need on the computer side.

Keith
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 11:13:05 PM »
I tried a normal db9 cable with an adapter to db25 and got zip.
this is what the manual says.

Serial Port: Pin 2 Rx (from host) Output. RS232 level receive line. Host computer

Serial Port: Pin 3 Tx (to host) Input. RS232 level transmit line. Host computer

Serial Port: Pin 5 Gnd(1) RS232 return (ground). Host computer

Serial port pin 4 is connected to pin 6, and pin 7 is connected to pin 8 to simulate
hardware handshaking if necessary. Pin 9 of the serial port is not used by the Pixie.
6. The serial port can be connected to a different host than that which is supplying step
and direction. It only needs to be connected while tuning the motor or setting other
parameters.

these directions seem ...... confusing or I just duns

thanks ben
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 11:23:44 PM »
all the other serial rs232 ports I've encountered have had instructions something like

db9        db25
1------------1
2------------2
3------------3
4 loop to6
5-----------7

so forth and so on
these instructions don't:(

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 05:12:33 AM »
You seem to be saying you are connecting the serial to the parallel port, is that what you are saying?
 If so then I think you are meant to connect the pixie to a serial port for setting up.
Hood