Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 05:21:30 AM

Author Topic: The great screen debate  (Read 15556 times)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: The great screen debate
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2015, 12:30:39 PM »
I have to edit the screen so that the cycle start button text updates when on a screen with a g code display that does not have an MDI tab (which is only the tool path page and it may be deleted as well).
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2015, 03:16:18 PM »
yep delete MDI and tool path not needed they are a double up`s all the day to day stuff is on the first page I just need to add two buttons and it will do me fine.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2015, 03:26:43 PM »
What buttons you gonna add Daniel?

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2015, 04:58:28 PM »
Its worth noteing that you can have one block of code in the MDI on the Program run page and a different in MDI on the Diags page and swap between pages to run which ever you want. The start button will run what ever is displayed. Omitting the tool path page for now. The whole tool path page will likely be deleted and the Start button will be disabled unless you have a Gcode or MDI display in view.

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2015, 05:23:24 PM »
Laser Zero and out put what ever the laser is connected to on/off, I have a X, Y zeroing laser what I use for zeroing X, Y and for calibration I have the code for that already.

what you are setting the start button to do will be good for nobs and yes MDI good idea keep that will be good for testing.

can a simulate program run time be added

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2015, 05:49:02 AM »
Touch screens are NICE but they also require larger screen elements(buttons) to safely use.  control keys/buttons have worked for about 40 years now no reason they still can't.

Touch screens do need bigger 'buttons' and there are no physical barriers between them to help prevent pressing the adjacent button accidentally.

Another argument against touch screens is that you need a stylus or bare finger to operate them.

There are solutions to both of these drawbacks and touch screens operable by a gloved finger can be made in such a way that it is impossible to press two adjacent buttons at the same time.

However, to my knowledge, there is currently no convenient solution to the fragile nature of the membrane of the resistive type overlays.

On a console with physical controls, if there are say 20 key combinations that perform different functions, how it the content of the keys communicated to the  operator? Is there a display area or keyboard overlay?  If not then would there be a Cheat sheet, or does the  operator just get used to the commands thru use and remember them?

As a long time AutoCAD user, I automatically press the correct function key without even thinking about it . . . well 5 or 6 of them anyway.

It seems there should be some way to combine these methods and take the best of both.

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2015, 05:59:33 AM »
there is a we trick you can do with touch screens glue a tiny magnet to ya finger nail then it only needs a gentle touch to trigger the screen what ever, its the same as a stylus

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2015, 06:14:17 PM »
A few changes have been made and this is likely to be the default set. No guarantees but we may be adding a way for users to easily modify some actions such as Go To Work Zero to include Z moves or not and Stop to include spindle and coolant stop and go to a safe Z position.   

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2015, 06:41:32 PM »
that will do, it will be good as a nob screen, just sim program run time needs to be added.

Stop to include spindle and coolant stop and go to a safe Z position. option only at user`s risk

Go To Work Zero to include Z moves or not  thats easy the code`s there Z5/n X0 Y0 A0

or call it Work Safe Z Zero thats what I do

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2015, 02:16:10 AM »
NOT bad  , I do see an empty spot in the lower RH corner that is just big enough for a tool type image display. I have one on my screens. Though not over there.

(;-) TP