Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 11:40:04 PM

Author Topic: The great screen debate  (Read 15561 times)

Re: The great screen debate
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 04:23:52 PM »

MACH4 NEEDS to stay focused on FUNCTION not form. The OEMs and $creenwriters can serve the DIY users for custom stuff . Lets get M4 FULLY functional .

THEN we can argue about which of the 30 custom / OEM  screensets is the best (;-)

(;-) TP

Although I agree with this 110%, it is a bit off topic and is splitting the subject. I suggest staying on point and on topic.
Very interesting.
No harm intended TP,
Russ  :)

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 04:56:48 PM »
sounds good BR549, I am moving to a pokeys so I will have buttons for stuff. A mouse can become dangerous, I put mine out of the way but bad thing`s have happened, there just needs to be 3 stock screens nob, key/ button select, touch screen everyone else can do there own screen just keep it simple.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2015, 05:16:30 PM »
LOL Daniel, just make the screen I want and everyone else can do their own is what I read. LOL  No, in all seriousness, Ill do what I can.

Hows this for a simple screen? Its what I use and all I need. Thanks Hood!
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2015, 05:48:52 PM »

MACH4 NEEDS to stay focused on FUNCTION not form.

Apparently I was not the only one with this misconception, so at the risk of getting my wrist slapped  . . .  again . . I think people should be made aware that the core developers are not being re-directed so making fancy (or not-so-fancy) screens.  That was my interpretation based on what I read.

Happily, I report that I was wrong and I don't know why this has not been made clear, but this screen initiative is being done by others and the core guys are doing core stuff . .  as they should be.

AND  . . my apologies if I contributed to giving anyone an impression otherwise.

OK, that's cleared up . . carry on

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2015, 06:16:41 PM »
Brett, too dark not enough contrast.  ;D

It is best to design a screenset in a dark room with a 25wat light bulb to see by.   >:D

Also remember that the majority of males(60%) are color deficient in reds and greens.  That normally leaves BLUE as the dominant color . HUM wonder why Haas uses blue.

(;-) TP

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2015, 06:34:49 PM »
BR549 is correct about color I cant see if something is high lighter yellow if I wear a highvis that`s  high lighter yellow I cant see very well.

Chaoticone yep but what I wont a lot of other would like, done the time to move up, you screen yes with a few more buttons tool hight, laser zero how the MDI and Gcode is done on other screen.

its just the first screen what need`s to only have what is needed on it, all the day to day run stuff the diag, probeing, offset, all can be on another page.

it would be hard to get right I might just chop and change a page to show what I would like on a first page what you have done is close.

I think if we all did a ruff draft of how you would like a first page to be the day to day screen that would help more.

and the more experienced boys than me should drive what it should look like they have been there done that for sometime so I think there idea`s are good I cant disagree with them I know they are correct
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 06:48:13 PM by blockhead »

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2015, 06:47:39 PM »
Terry, that is simply not true. That is a lie promoted by the smurfs who had cornered the blue dye market back in the dark ages. Since then we have evolved, gotten educated and even have an eye crutch station in every Walmart. You need to read the interwebs more.  ;D

But no your right. It has something to do with the X chrome of something or others.  ;D

The only light I use is my usb keyboard light. I unwired the other switches when I got the power bill.

I always liked the Blue buttons on Fanuc controls better than the Martha Stuart Earth editions that followed. Sorry Martha but the chrome of something or others don't lie!

How about blue buttons with Yellow leds and a black background?

Thanks simpson, that is accurate.

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2015, 07:08:36 AM »
LOL Daniel, just make the screen I want and everyone else can do their own is what I read. LOL  No, in all seriousness, Ill do what I can.

Hows this for a simple screen? Its what I use and all I need. Thanks Hood!

So, is this Chaoticone's  or Hood's screen?    I don't know about this . . .  Looking pretty fancy to me  8)

Very cool looking 3D buttons. A little bling never hurts.

I don't think it is useful to suggest where to place this button or that because it is going top boil down to personal preference, but as a general guideline, I think it *might* be better to group the operational buttons together and the nav buttons together, rather than mixing them in the same area.

Navigation buttons should all be in the same grouping and there should be either a blank space or a 'spare' button for use in adding more 'pages' to the stock menu.

Operational buttons should be in a fixed position so that an operator does not waste precious seconds hunting for a button, but nav buttons are a good place to conserve real estate by using pop-ups for controls that are only used infrequently and with the operators full attention.

Also consider that the screen should be fairly bland while the machine is operating with no problems. It is more difficult to draw the attention of a user to a specific place if the screen is loaded with bright colors.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2015, 09:18:09 AM »
The black screen is Hoods Simple touch screen that I have modified a little bit. I think it is a great example of how simple a screen can be used in conjunction with hardware. I have a homemade pendant with MPG and a few hardware buttons.

I agree with the screen not demanding attention unless warranted and screen buttons emulating hardware buttons should be in a fixed position. Obviously the default screens are a compromise at many levels. Not to worry though. They are not the end, only the beginning.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2015, 11:44:16 AM »
OK Guys, see what you think of the Gcode/MDIs on the program run page and the machine diagnostics page and how the Cycle start button works with them.

If you like it and think it is time to delete the MDI page I will.