Hello Guest it is April 17, 2024, 09:34:47 PM

Author Topic: boxford vmc190 conversion costs  (Read 2131 times)

boxford vmc190 conversion costs
« on: July 29, 2015, 04:03:10 PM »
Hi all.

I've just got a little boxford vmc190,  I'd like to get it running from Mach3,  what sort of cost would I be looking at?

Am I right in thinking that they're quite sturdy little machines?

Thanks all.

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
Re: boxford vmc190 conversion costs
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 06:16:59 PM »
It depends how competent you are with electronics.
I'm fairly sure you could re-use the original stepper drives by connecting them to a new break out board (BOB), for about £30 plus time to trace the required terminals/pins. Spindle control may be more involved and add more expense (I can't remember what kind of spindle are on these)

However, I'd personally suggest some more modern stepper drives, as modern drives would give you a good performance increase, and eliminate having to work out the existing stepper driver connections. Good quality drives can be had for around £40 each (some form of Leadshine are the recommended go to brand in the UK), and combine them with a BOB (less £30 for something basic).

That's if you want to run from a parallel port. If you want to use and external motion controller, there are a few options starting from about £40 upwards.

Also, you may need to allow for various consumables (wire/connectors), replacing anything that may be broken, and an actual computer if you don't already have one.
It's certainly doable for sub £50 if you have the electronic ability and only want basic performance, if you want better performance and less hassle probably around £150, but I'd probably budget for £300 to allow for any additional purchase that may spring up along the way and adding an external motion controller.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: boxford vmc190 conversion costs
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 03:53:06 AM »
This is what I did with mine. http://www.cooperman.talktalk.net/files/14.htm

Tweakie.
PEACE