Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:43:07 AM

Author Topic: How do I connect Mach3 to a Delta VFD using an USB UART to RS485 adaptor?  (Read 6758 times)

I have Mach3, I have a CNC with a Delta VFD that has a RS485 input. I have a Serial to 485 adaptor for my PC. How do I get Mach3 to use the serial port rather than the Parallel port? So far doesn't sound possible without some sort of break out board but I can't find a specific introduction on what is required to make the connection.

Thanks,

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Mach3 should be able to talk to the serial port through scripting  AS long as you have a list of things it needs to say (;-).

(;-) TP
OK that sucks, I'm an IT guy but I need to get this working yesterday. How do I get Mach3 to talk to a Delta VFD with RS485 input?

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
I will depend on the format of data .Does it talk ascii or modbus or something else ? You can send from modbus or you can send via SendSerial() or you can send from one other Can't remember the name . That gives you 3 options AND there is always   SendPortByte() GetPortByte().

OR you can do it through a plugin to Mach3 There are several but could not say if they will talk to YOUR Vfd.

(;-) TP
Checked the manual for the Delta VFD and it does speak Modbus through the RS485. What plugin or software do I need to install in MAch3 to setup Serial Modbus anyone have instructions? I'm also reading the other guys delta thread. Thanks for the help so far I'm finally getting somewhere!

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
With Modbus you can talk to the VFD through the macropump scripting OR through BRAINS directly. The modbus protocal is already set up  for both methods.

(;-) TP
Which one is easier? looking to control the 3 Axis, possibly a forth, maybe turn on a relay for flood or vacuum. What is Macropump or Brains, and are these plugins for Mach3?

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
I thought you were just wanting to control a VFD for a spindle. Mach3 does the control of the machine. The modbus com is controlled through Mach3 functions.  I suggest you get to reading you have a long way to go yet (;-)

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 11:24:07 AM by BR549 »
Great info. I understand Modbus is a protocol but what plugins do I need to connect Mach3 to the serial port. I'm guessing Brains is a plugin that you configure to pass commands through to the serial port?