Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:16:19 AM

Author Topic: MACH4 and ESS with homing issues  (Read 9226 times)

MACH4 and ESS with homing issues
« on: May 22, 2015, 02:41:41 PM »
I have Mach3 running without issues on my machine...  Getting ready for the plunge into Mach4 - So i am running in Demo.  I would like to have system at least semi-working before taking the leap.

I have X, Y, Z working as they should, but whenever I try to home any one axis or all axes, Mach4 locks up - stuck in homing.

Specifically Mach4, after pressing Ref or Ref All:
* Selected axis heads in the correct direction to the homing limit,
* Touches the switch,
* Lights the Home switch on Diag. screen, and
* Never backs off the switch
* Never exits the homing sequence

I have to exit Mach4 and start up again to get control of machine.

I have followed DazTheGas videos (thanks!) and must be overlooking something.  Might this be a result of still in demo mode?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mach4 v 1.2461 (demo)
ESS v April 19 2015
Win 8.1 64 bit

STrack

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
Re: MACH4 and ESS with homing issues
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 09:03:15 AM »
From a quick glance you have 2 home switches on the x axis and a slave, cant quite figure out why. your set for x to home last so i would start there as its prob waiting for the second axis to home, try deleting one of the homing switches on x axis.

DazTheGas
New For 2022 - Instagram: dazthegas
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 06:53:13 AM »
I have the same issue. But the moment I hit my home switch, I loose all control over mach 3, wont jog, nothing. Glad I haven't paid for it yet. Wont until ESS works properly. What we need is an ESS /mach4 loader file that has all the right boxes checked and runs a spindle etc, home switches working so the next user only has to change the ports and pins. It will make everything easier for people to get their machines working and report bug fixes.

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 01:12:03 PM »
Glad I haven't paid for it yet. Wont until ESS works properly.

My ESS is working absolute fine, Ive never used mach3, I jumped straight into mach and the ESS and from just following the docs had it up and running, so I would really check all your settings for the ess and do the bulk of them in the plugin config.

DazTheGas
New For 2022 - Instagram: dazthegas
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 02:44:43 PM »
I should have replied some time back, my bad.

Somewhere between unloading and reloading everything, updating to the most recent version of M4, re-mapping motors to more conventional mappings in M4, and family visitors leaving after the Holiday, all is now good.  Have since worked out getting CLICK PLC, Modbus, and Mach4 to work together.
Will likely write my own homing routine that homes off of limit switches - taking the "rack" out of the gantry, then back off to index signals mounted on servo encoders.

Shamanj;
You mention Mach3, is that what you are using??
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 08:56:49 PM »
Daz I watched your videos and got it work to a point, it was hitting the home switches, then returning and not stopping.
It's now working as it should, however all I did was change the settings, restart my machine, make the same changes then it works again. Somethings funny with that.

Daz is your spindle working yet? Are you running a VFD?
MAch3 I've used for years, I have many routines like auto tool touchoff, ATC, probing etc all working in it, so I'm not completely green in M3. M4 is a different beast entirely.

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 09:22:47 PM »
there is a bug that will stop a button working that have code in them or it will do something silly, it can happen with user added scripts as well a restart and redo will clear the error that is what you ran in to I would say.

there is a post about setting up a spindle with the ess 

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 08:05:48 AM »
Will likely write my own homing routine that homes off of limit switches - taking the "rack" out of the gantry, then back off to index signals mounted on servo encoders.

If you square the gantry, then home to the index, won't that rack it back out of square?
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 08:46:18 AM »
Ger21 are you the same Ger that wrote Mach3 2010? If so, BRAVO! Amazing piece of kit. Somewhat off topic.

I find the Relay triggers my limit switches if I set them to homing switches as well. I did however make my own spring loaded homing switches so the moment signal is off the gantry stops, very cool.
Still looking for the ESS spindle thread, but been busy today so going to search now.
However, I must admit mach4 seems to be really nice at simply moving the machine around. Everything happens faster... cleaner... when it does happen.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 11:48:05 AM »
Ger21 are you the same Ger that wrote Mach3 2010? If so, BRAVO! Amazing piece of kit. Somewhat off topic.

Guilty
Glad you like it
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html