Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:11:52 PM

Author Topic: THC Problem  (Read 9746 times)

Offline beefy

•  138 138
    • View Profile
Re: THC Problem
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 05:22:21 PM »
Hello,

maybe somebody know, why THC function not working in Mach3 with USB cards? Why THC can work only with LPT port? What Mach3 need to start work?

Thanks in advance

An external motion controller card (USB/ethernet) usually has a plugin written for Mach3. A plugin is a peice of software that you install "inside" Mach3, and it tells Mach how to "communicate" with the external card. The card must have been designed specifically for THC use. If it hasn't been designed for that use it won't work. It's a bit like trying to open a spreadsheet in a word processor. It won't work because the word processor was not designed for that.

Your 2nd question has a similar answer. Mach was designed with the parallel port as it's main high speed I/O portal. The THC functionality was designed around the parallel port. Mach3 THC only works with the parallel port because it was designed that way.

Google for "UC300" or "UC-300". I believe that USB card has THC functionality but contact the manufacturer first and ask questions to see if it's suitable for you. If that board is suitable for you, then I think you must also add a breakout board to it if you want optical isolation.

If you want to learn more about the built-in THC functionality in Mach3, then check out the older Mach2 manual:
http://www.machsupport.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Mach2Mill_6.11.pdf

One option you have it to actually use the parallel port. Buy a dual parallel port card for one of the computers PCI slots. In Mach configuration you can set the second parallel port to make pins 2-9 as inputs, giving a total of 13 inputs on that port alone. You would then need to find breakout boards for your two parallel ports, that will give you the needed 24v levels.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 05:31:31 PM by beefy »
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 03:18:15 PM »
Thank you for good answer beefy. :)
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 12:00:25 PM »
reviving an old thread, but is this still the case?  All of my computers are running 64 bit windows and they are either laptops or compact systems and dont have a parallel port so the Mach3 parallel driver wont work.  I'm using this usb motion controller.. http://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart-4-axis-mach3-usb-cnc-motion-controller-card-interface-breakout-board.html 

Everything else is working perfectly just not my THC, in the diag tab I can see the inputs for thc up/down working but the Z never changes.  There has to be a connection I'm missing, I dont understand what the motion control board has to do with the thc not working.  The software see's the inputs just fine all it has to do is change the Z.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 02:18:50 PM »
Teh internal THC in Mach3 ONLY works with teh LPT version of Mach3. IF you are using an outside control card teh CARD itself most do teh THC functions with Z.

(;-) TP
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 02:25:32 PM »
This sucks, I have already spent money on all this crap twice.  Why on earth can they not get with this century and support USB and 64 bit OS.   I don't even own a computer with a parallel port so outside of spending another $200 on a device to use this old junk is there anything else that can be done. Why it it not as simple as it moving the z axis in the software.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 03:58:56 PM »
Mach3 does supoort USB and does support 64bit for use with an outside controller.  MICROSOFT is the one that CANNED the used of the LPT driver with 64 bit OS . (;-) Not mach3.

Mach3 cannot support the THC Z moves across the USB side because it is WAY too slow to work properly  SO it is UP TO the Motion control card itself to do the THC Z MOVES as it should be.  
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 04:12:22 PM »
So you're telling me USB is slower than lpt. You've got to be kidding me.  They didn't quit supporting lpt because it's better than lpt.  This crap drives me insane.  If I buy what amounts to a $200 USB to lpt adapter it'll supposedly work.  I really don't buy it.   Is there anything besides mach3 out there?  I'd like something designed in the last 15 years please.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 04:19:51 PM »
LinuxCNC ?

Never tried it, but its out there ;)

Its not USB that is slow as such, well USB1.0 is, but more the interface between software and the USB bus i think.

LPT was fast, it was dropped because USB was universal - Universal Serial Bus - having two sockets on the pc means more cost, more space, more components, it's just evolution.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 04:32:31 PM »
You CANNOT use a USB to LPT adaptor either  . It has to be a USB or Ethernet motion control board that HAS  a Mach3 plugin so that it can run Mach3. The plugin is UP TO teh Manf of teh Motion control card not Mach3. SO IF they support THC then you will have it if they do NOT support THC then you won't.

Yes I am telling you that teh USB THC would be VERY slow compared to teh LPT. With USB functions your THC controller has to signal teh Motion controller then the motion controller has to signal MACH3 to do a THC move THEN Mach3 has to plan it and then talk BACK to teh controller to tell it to move Z. THAT takes time.

WITH the LPT version Mach3 sees teh THC signal at kernal speed and responds directly the LPT port. It happens in uS not mS.

(;-) TP

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 04:39:07 PM »
DID you not check to see IF the USB card DID THC before you bought it?  MAYBE it does  and you don't have it setup correctly ?? Check with the OEM that sold you the card.

(;-) TP