Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:27:38 PM

Author Topic: Mach4 - Arduino and Touchscreen  (Read 31174 times)

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
Re: Mach4 - Arduino and Touchscreen
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2015, 04:49:15 PM »
did you find the info of how to make modbus work with the 32u4 boards

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2015, 04:57:31 PM »
Its not 100% yet but im using the YunClient and Bridge libraries across to the Linux OS (openwrt) which i installed a python library called pymodbus.   :).

As i said though, not 100% reliable at moment.

DazTheGas
New For 2022 - Instagram: dazthegas

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2015, 05:04:12 PM »
your doing that way I don't like linux have fun
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2015, 04:26:01 AM »
aww, c'mon Daniel. You just need to look at it like Linux as another avenue of approach. Python is actually similar to Lua....and Python has an extensive library that is available to us. I would venture to say....your's, Simpson's, and Daz's approach is another opportunity for all of us on this forum :o)

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2015, 05:54:08 AM »
I am dyslexic so it`s not that easy I can read code and under stand it but getting it down takes time.

I have been down the Linux and Linux cnc road just did not like how it works
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2015, 05:58:29 AM »
I hear ya. I'm all in this by myself. It would be so much better if there was someone else close by. Well, I'm moving to Rock Island Arsenal in two weeks...wonder who I will find there? Maybe I'll just walk in and ask if they machined an M65 Atomic Cannon lately. :)

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2015, 06:11:27 AM »
I just googled Rock Island they will be some cool toys there

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2015, 05:39:40 AM »
Its not 100% yet but im using the YunClient and Bridge libraries across to the Linux OS (openwrt) which i installed a python library called pymodbus.   :).

As i said though, not 100% reliable at moment.

DazTheGas

I think this is a good track to be on and I very nearly started down this road  myself, except with the new Rasberry.  So far it has not been necessary to open the box on that project because at the moment I am looking at off-loading a lot of the processing from the Arduino DUE to MACH4 and also the GPU on the touch screen itself.

Based on my experience with a few of the Atmel processors, I thing the Yun is not up to the task or running Modbus on top of Linux and doing anything else useful at the same time, but if you can get something working and it turns out to overwhelm the Yun, you have a ready path to far more powerful processors, so you may not need to rewind very much to port everything over.

I am up to the point of doing field testing on my own TCP Modbus products on actual machines. First my own and then to my group of testers. To that end, I have installed MACH 3 and MACH4 with and ESS on a test mill and in that process I discovered an interesting anomaly with MACH3.

While MACH4 consumes between 4% and 8% of CPU power to run TCP Modbus, MACH3 is hovering between 45% and 54%  . . . doing nothing except running TCP Modbus. Screen DRO response is very choppy and jogging is jerky somewhat unpredictable. Turn off TCP Modbus and MACH3 returns to smooth operation. I am going to spend some time to see if this is fixable, but if not, then TCP Modbus will prove impractical for MACH3.

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2015, 05:47:27 AM »
I would not bother with M3 to much have you ever had a look at the PoKeys57CNC I am going to be changing over to one soon for other things just out of interest, I have not seen any new youtube vids from you lately

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2015, 06:48:03 AM »
I would not bother with M3 to much have you ever had a look at the PoKeys57CNC I am going to be changing over to one soon for other things just out of interest, I have not seen any new youtube vids from you lately

Looks interesting. For testing, I am going to go thru the available TCP motion controllers that are popular with MACH4. I already have the ESS up and running for testing and for my own equipment, I will be using a CSMCIO motion controller http://www.cs-lab.eu/en/produkt-2,2-CSMIOIPS___6_axis_Ethernet_Motion_Controller_STEPDIR_with_connectors.html  based primarily on my great respect for the advice of Hood, a major contributor here.

I am interested in the Pokeys 56E   http://www.poscope.com/PoKeys56E to use as a TCP Modbus 'portal' to relieve that processing from the DUE. I have the older USB version that was acquired for some past project, but I have never used it.

As far as videos, I can only post stuff of my own. Most projects are done under NDA and I would be in big trouble is I posted videos of them . . LOL!

However, there are two, possible three, new videos series coming up. The  IH mill conversion that ran over many videos will be coming back into the shop for conversion to MACH4 using the above mentioned motion controller and the setup will be getting one of the first combination InTurn™ 4th axis motor controller /Mach4 pendants as well as improved ATC software. Most of these Off-Shore mills have very flexible tables, so reinforcing the table *might* also be done . . that is undecided at this point.

I am also going to FINALLY start the 'big mill' project. That involved building an all new Bridgeport sized mill specifically to be a stable platform for the new InTurn™ ULTRA. It will have truly massive ball slides and ball screws.

The third 'possible' video series would cover the development of the MACH4 pendant . . . but I am reluctant to do that one because of the proprietary nature of it . . and the fact that I have not been collecting any video footage  . . which makes it difficult to put one togather  ;).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 06:51:55 AM by simpson36 »