Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 05:37:03 AM

Author Topic: Can you run cnc plasma cutter with a 24vdc Z axis motor for THC?  (Read 2706 times)

Offline mike^3

•  116 116
    • View Profile
Hello everyone! ??? ??? ???

I just picked up a cnc plasma cutter that needs a new control, but I have one question about the THC. I am very familiar with wiring and can easily wire the rest of the machine.

The Torch Height Contol has a 24vdc motor for moving the z axis up and down, it is not a stepper motor. Can I use this with mach 3 for the THC? I am not sure how to set up the configurations either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Can you run cnc plasma cutter with a 24vdc Z axis motor for THC?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 12:03:58 PM »
Well it is not IMPOSSIBLE but would be a lot of experimenting.  You would have to monitor the step/dir linesfor z and it active activate a set of relays to run forward/reverse the DC motor when under THC control. 

The remaining problem is you have ZERO control of height when the THC is not controlling.

Chances are good the results would be less than desirable.

(:-) TP

Offline mike^3

•  116 116
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 01:20:52 PM »
Dang thats what I thought, well ill have to convert it to stepper control :)

Thanks!

Also can you recommend a good thc?

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 03:36:21 PM »
In the USA, CandCNC

In the UK RazorDance

(;-) TP
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 06:02:38 PM »
Hello everyone! ??? ??? ???

I just picked up a cnc plasma cutter that needs a new control, but I have one question about the THC. I am very familiar with wiring and can easily wire the rest of the machine.

The Torch Height Contol has a 24vdc motor for moving the z axis up and down, it is not a stepper motor. Can I use this with mach 3 for the THC? I am not sure how to set up the configurations either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Yes, it is possible (with your DC Motor) with Stand Alone control cards and Capacitive THC from www.cnc4pc.com