Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:00:07 PM

Author Topic: Need some help understanding ZERO!  (Read 3375 times)

Offline Peeps

•  16 16
    • View Profile
Need some help understanding ZERO!
« on: April 06, 2015, 12:36:01 PM »
I'm really new to me Mach3 and CNC machine and have a question. The way I've been doing things so far is making random things and my Zero position on my table has never been in the same place. What happen is I made a project near the center of my table that involved me making 2 index holes so I could flip my project over an do the other side. well, like a dummy I moved zero and saved the table............ Is there any way to find this spot again?

I'm guessing not , so how does one keep moving his zero all around and not lose the settings? I know this sounds dumb to you pro's in here, but I can't figure it out and was looking for some help....thanks for viewing!
Re: Need some help understanding ZERO!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 06:02:02 PM »
The safest thing to do if your machine has dials is make a mark roughly where each axis is or if it has scales right down the scale value. Then record the dial values to. That way you can move back there even after a power off.  I've done it this way for years.  You do of course have an edge finder and a dial indicator right?  Because they are the basic tools of picking up part locations, aligning things, checking your machine etc. So if don't have them it's something you really ought to get. They save a ton of time too.  LittleMachineShop has a fairly decent dial indicator for relatively little money.  For an edge finder I use a Starrett, and I've tried some imports to save maybe $10 but they just don't seem to work as well.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 06:23:00 PM »
Watch the Homing, Limits and Offsets video, and put some home switches on your machine.

http://www.machsupport.com/videos/
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Peeps

•  16 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 08:07:03 PM »
Thank you very much, I don't have home switches and never have. It's not been an issue until this project, so I need to learn a little more about Mach3 I guess. that video you linked should get me on my way, thanks again!

Offline Peeps

•  16 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 08:09:43 PM »
The safest thing to do if your machine has dials is make a mark roughly where each axis is or if it has scales right down the scale value. Then record the dial values to. That way you can move back there even after a power off.  I've done it this way for years.  You do of course have an edge finder and a dial indicator right?  Because they are the basic tools of picking up part locations, aligning things, checking your machine etc. So if don't have them it's something you really ought to get. They save a ton of time too.  LittleMachineShop has a fairly decent dial indicator for relatively little money.  For an edge finder I use a Starrett, and I've tried some imports to save maybe $10 but they just don't seem to work as well.
At the start of the project, I was going to write down the settings and got lazy, my fault. Thanks for the info, it has helped.

Offline Peeps

•  16 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 10:19:44 AM »
could someone help me with where and how to hook up the home switches on my controller. this is the one I have now, I just need to know where to get some switches and where they go..thanks.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 11:51:16 AM »
They attach to the connector on the left side at the bottom of your pic. Looks like either a 9 pin or 15 pin connector.
The manual for your board should have the pins labeled.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Peeps

•  16 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 12:25:17 PM »
OK, It's a DB9. so do I just get an old DB9 cable and cut it, find the wire for the pins I want to use? And as far as the switches go, can they be one of those little micro switches I can get a Radio Shack?

I might check out ebay for the switches too, That way they'll have some type of holder with them. Sorry to ask so much about this, but I'm in hopes that this will keep my zero position saved for me.

Offline Peeps

•  16 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 12:26:43 PM »
Also, can you hook up the switches in series or does each one need a separate feed from the connector?