Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:55:44 AM

Author Topic: standalone Mach3 controller  (Read 17692 times)

Re: standalone Mach3 controller
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 08:32:05 AM »
Hi John,
do you suppose that you could install a different OS?
Secondly, if it could be done does the price stack up such that there would be interest from the Mach community?

When I was casting my eye around for a platform for my machine I all but discarded the industrial panel types on the basis of cost.
In the end I chose a single board computer miniITX as the cheapest option bearing in mind I could recycle monitor, power supply
etc. Memory and HD are new but the HD particularly needed to be new to achieve the reliability that my old XP machine lacked.
Under these circumstances a new platform could cost as little as $200, certainly not as slick but usable.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 11:43:53 AM »
Classic Shell website says:

What are the system requirements of Classic Shell?
 Classic Shell supports Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2. There is only one installer for all and it covers both 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems. Not all features are supported for all versions of Windows.

Does Classic Shell support Windows 10?
 Starting with version 4.2.1, Classic Shell supports Windows 10 TP build 10041 and later. Of course, since Windows 10 is not officially released, glitches are possible.

Does Classic Shell support Windows RT?
 No, Classic Shell does not work on Windows RT (either 8 or 8.1). There are two reasons for that. First, Windows RT runs on devices with a different CPU, which is incompatible with regular Windows applications. And second, Windows RT does not allow non-Microsoft software to run on its desktop.

Is Classic Shell Free?
 Yes, Classic Shell is free for both personal and commercial use*.
------

John

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 11:57:51 AM »
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 01:31:56 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Ger.
I read the MS info regarding the Surface Pro 3, and it is a pretty fantastic tablet.

They have a trade-in offer for the Surface-2, which I have. MS will give me $150.00 trade in if I send it back, and buy a new 12" Surface Pro 3. The new tablet starts at 780.00 and goes up depending on what processor you want.

They specifically state it will run ANY program that runs on Windows. It has an Intel processor.

John

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 04:31:03 PM »
Nice how they tell you that last year's model is now obsolete.  ;)
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 02:18:12 AM »
Yes, that surprised me they outright say it is an "Obsolete" model.  I've had the Surface 2 for less than 10 days. That is the first thing you see going to the site.

My guess they are getting blow-back from unhappy customers, and this is damage control.

However, the Surface 2 is really a superbly made computer, with a fantastic touch screen, very fast; long battery life of near 10 hours ( the screen dims if you don't touch the keyboard for a minute), micro memory module slot will support 64 Gb, Blue-Tooth 4.0, WiFi, MS Office, Excel, and some other MS programs. It is solid, and well built. It also has a two position fold-out back support that gives it a firm upright standing position. They do make good products.

John
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 07:56:48 AM »
Hi all,
must say I caught myself feeling aggrieved that MS could so easily 'obsolete' a device still so new on the market.
As John points out it is a well made machine and will still run as intended for years to come. I can only presume
that you were aware of the limitations, namely only running MS authored software, at the time of purchase and
agreed with it.
The trade in deal sounds like MS have had to rethink that strategy. For all my bellyaching about MS I still use it
and value for money its pretty good. Apple appears a worse predator to me but they have a hell of a fanbase!
No matter what deal MS offer $780 plus is still over the top for a device that's going o be covered in crap
in the workshop.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 12:58:46 PM »
I learned the limitations of the Surface 2 when it would not run "Classic Shell", and I read their website FAQ's. Probably, if I had read more reviews on the internet that limitation would have been seen. I do not intend to send it back for a $150 credit on a Surface 3. I paid about 310 on Newegg, and it is still a nice compact portable tablet. I am writing this at Starbucks with the Surface 2, and a MA Bluetooth keyboard, which is also a very well made device. No wires, no charger to carry around, and a superb screen.

When I have some extra cash, I will get the 12" Surface 3, and be able to run Mach3/4, with a touch screen. No cables or wires except the USB connecting to the controller.

John

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 01:01:54 AM »
I just "upgraded" my CNC's with a "newer" IBM recon from Newegg. It's a 3.4Mhz machine with 4gig ram, and most surprising it had a PP! I replaced the 160gig hard drive with a 1tb WD drive I had on hand. The cost of the PC was $99 w/free shipping and the drive was one I had picked up during their black Friday sale, and I think it was just $59. These reconditioned PC's they sell have been in use by industry or by government. As such, they've had a lot of "power on" time, so while they are used, they have been kept serviced. I always have a spare power supply on hand (and most everything else needed to build a couple computers for some reason) since I expect that the PS is the component most likely to fail first. As a bonus it comes with win7 home installed with a fresh serial number attached from the reconditioner. With win7 going for about the same $99 the system cost me, I feel it's a bargain.

As for MS and their proclivity to abandon OS that work nicely - I'm glad to have a PC that will meet my CNC needs for several years, that is equipped with a OS that supports the equipment and software I want to run on it. The fact that it cost less than a Chinese VFD, is a real bonus.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 01:14:44 AM by stargeezer »