Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:07:53 AM

Author Topic: Putting tools in tool holders  (Read 9994 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Putting tools in tool holders
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2015, 03:08:21 PM »
Made a quick vid to show how the height setter I made works. Afraid the MDI, Pop Up and Tool Table do not show very clear in the vid but hopefully you will get the idea.
As the lowest position on my tool setter is zeroed it effectively becomes my master tool, so I can then call any tool I want and call its offset then touch it off the surface of the material and set that as Z zero and any other tool called will also be correct with regards the Z position.
 As mentioned earlier I have a Haimer 3D Taster that I use for edge and surface finding and as I have it set in the tool table (g43h100) I can use it to set zero and again all tools will be correct.

Anyway here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DAmcLo9IW4

Hood

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2015, 03:42:29 PM »
That is a pretty neat way to do it. I have not done anything with tool heights or zeroing the tool or anything yet. I understand the basic idea, but I have not used mach to know anything about how they are entered or stored or anything....yet. I know I won't have time to build anything like that right away though. I will either make due with a feeler or hook up my tool height setter and get it going. Lots to figure out still...

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2015, 07:36:28 PM »
I just did some measuring on my tools and the chiron tools and they are the same. The funny thing is that they do not appear to be SK30 or BT30. Both of those are longer from the specs I can find.

I wonder what the story is behind our two different machines using almost the same tool but being different than all the rest is.
It does look like maybe some Chiron had Fanuc controls. My whole machine was made by Fanuc I believe and just got a P&W nameplate. 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2015, 06:25:46 PM »
It is not really that difficult to make and it doesn't take long to make either, just a few components. The hardest part would be the taper base holder but easy enough if you have a lathe.

I know Chiron lists it as SK30 but I never bothered looking to see what the specs of that actually were.

I think the later Chirons had/have Fanuc, certainly as an option. The earlyish ones like mine all seemed to have Siemens controls from what I have seen.

Hood

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2015, 06:39:00 PM »
How accurate is measuring them like that vs measuring them when they are in the machine and touching off with an electronic tool touch off device?

For now I have an Econo-probe touch off plate. I might consider something like you have when more time opens up and I know how to make parts on my CNC....working on the CAM learning at the moment.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2015, 06:43:18 PM »
It is very accurate, the glass scale has a resolution of 0.005mm so I suppose it must be about there somewhere, maybe +/- 0.005mm accuracy.

Hood

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2015, 06:45:49 PM »
How do you interface the glass scale to Mach? Is there a thread that you made when doing this or anything?

Also, I was looking at MachStdMill a little today. It says it has some probing functions. Not sure if that is worth getting or not.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2015, 06:58:36 PM »
I interface it through the Enc module of the CSMIO/IP-A on the Chiron and use the port 3 Inputs on the SmoothStepper that is on the Beaver mill.
With the CSMIO it writes to a designated user DRO, on the Smoothstepper I just have it writing to one of the encoder DROs.

No don't have a specific thread sas really there is not much too it, the hardware side is simple and all that is really needed in the screen side of things is a button with some VB script in it, for example here is the script for the Chiron, the Beaver is slightly different in that it is a different DRO number, but thats all.
Also made a page up for setting the tools up on my machine, the only relevant parts are really the Zero button, the Set Z button and the offset DRO, all the rest of that screen is specific to my Chiron. (see below)

If GetOemLED(800) Then
MsgBox ("Mach In Reset, Enable and start again")
End
End If

Offset = GetOemDRO(1150)

SetOemDRO(1555,Question("Enter Offset Number"))

Tool = GetOemDRO(1555)

Code "G90" & "G10" & "L1" & "P" & Tool &"Z" & Offset
DoOemButton(121)   

Never used the MSM screens so not sure what is in them but they seem to be good from reports I have seen. Another one that I think has some probing functionality is Ger's 2010 screenset but again have never used it.

Hood