Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:54:39 AM

Author Topic: Putting tools in tool holders  (Read 9996 times)

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
Re: Putting tools in tool holders
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 07:37:31 PM »
Haha, how funny is that. You have the same tool holders as me. The only difference is mine is a 15mm wide bearing only without the brass plate. I might have some parts you want. I bought some of that tooling and am in the process of converting it to my bearing.

That looks like you put a lot of work into getting that setup. I feel like I am spinning my wheels. Whole weekend gone and about all I did was watch a bunch of BobCAD videos.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 07:42:37 PM by jevs »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 07:48:29 PM »
Probably different tool holder, mine are SK30  but think specifically made for Chirons, I have managed to pick up quite  a few, see pics. That is in addition to the 12 in the machine and the ones in the previous pic so probably have about 35, got about 18 with the machine and have picked up the rest off eBay.

Here is a vid of how my tool change works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuxOCikZxU8

Looking at yours, it would seem it may not be possible to load a tool that is not in the changer so you would have to use one of the ones in as a master or swap after  you have set your zero.

Setting up the auto tool plate may be the easiest option for you or you could make a similar setup to mine and do the tool height offsets out of the machine.

Hood

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 08:00:43 PM »
What is the difference in that taper and a bt30 taper? I have tooling that looks just like that and it is the same dimensionally as mine above the bearing. In fact I had to buy Chiron retention knobs. They are exactly the same. However if you ask for Pratt and Whitney Tapemate C stuff, forget it. My machine is basically a Fanuc Drillmate Series C. Their first Robodrill. They changed to a different retention knob and got rid of the bearing though on the next up models.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 08:03:42 PM »
They maybe are the same then, think however the BT30 holders are slightly longer on the taper. Maybe they just look longer, I will check tomorrow as I have a BT30 holder at the workshop.

Hood

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 08:11:13 PM »
Here is what I have collected off eBay. I probably bid against you on some of it LOL

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 08:12:22 PM »
And here is what I believe to be a tool for your machine next to a tool made for my machine....

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 08:13:13 PM »
And here is what I believe to be one of your tools converted to work in my machine by changing the bearing.

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 08:16:07 PM »
A lot of these ones I think are Chiron only have one notch for some reason instead of two. These are all BT30 basically but with a a bearing on the lower end. The rest of the dimensions are the same if memory serves.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 08:17:49 PM »
Certainly look the same or very similar, regarding bidding against me, unless you are in the UK then probably not.

The Chiron ones have special bearings, 12mm thick with a pin sticking out the inner race that fits into a notch in the brass brake. The bearings are over £100 I think but I got 9mm thick ones and just made up thicker brass brakes. I didnt bother about the pins, just made the brass a good tight fit and it does the same job.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 08:21:41 PM »
Yes usually have two notches in them but often one is blanked with a screw in plug, that is so they can be held in exactly the same position each time regards orientation to the index mark of the spindles encoder.
The Chiron has only one dog pin and it is spring loaded so that the spindle doesnt need to stop when doing a tool change, heres a close up vid I did for a guy on the forum to show how it works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=784P5uA9lro
Hood