Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:05:53 PM

Author Topic: X-axis reverse not working  (Read 29281 times)

Re: X-axis reverse not working
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 03:06:21 AM »
where are you trying to reverse the motor, if you are using the ess then all reversing of the motors needs to be done within the plugin config-inputs by making a motor dir input active high or active low.

DazTheGas

I was trying through the Mach config (see attached). It seemed like the logical place given the motor tuning was done in there.

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 03:33:14 AM »
all active high and lows for ess need to be done in the plugin config, change the state of the x axis dir pin.

DazTheGas
New For 2022 - Instagram: dazthegas

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 03:57:05 AM »
in all plugins what are available you set the high and low in them in M4 you don't set any high or low states you just map a input, output and motor what means a tick and a number or a tick and what it is.

look to dazthegas, art and hoss on youtube for how to set up a machine in M4 different controllers yes but the way things are set up are the same when it comes to M4 and most things in the controller plugins are called the same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOy_xGRn5Uq3-u_LgNFzNNw

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzuCa2eJKWliRthn908bHaA

https://www.youtube.com/user/hossmachine/videos
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 08:55:02 PM »
I am using Mach4 latest build (2255 I think), but have also tried this on 2238.

I want to change the rotational direction of my X-axis stepper so when I use the -X job it moves left and +X jog it moves right. I selected Reverse? in the Mach->Configuration->Motor, but the motor does not reverse it's operation. To be clear, when I use the +X and -X jog commands, it does move both ways, but I want to reverse the operation of those commands.

Is this a software bug, or I am I not using it properly?

If I cannot overcome this in Mach4, could I rewire the stepper motor to reverse it's direction?

Note, this is if you are using  Mach4 and an ESS, I assume other motion controllers are similar.

Because this happened to me just TODAY, 02/14/2020, with a brand new profile retrieved from Avid CNC I will revive this thread and post how to fix it. Apparently some forget in motor control "reverse" can not be used like in Mach 3. The "reverse is in Mach 4 under motors, but clicking reverse does nothing.

Please get to this screen below and make the changes through the ESS. You can get to the screen by clicking "Configure", "Plugins", "ESS" and last, "Pins config". Then find  whatever your Port Pins are for "X step" and "X dir"  and make the "Active High/Low" the opposite they are now.  This will give you a reversed motion for the X.

As shown here, my Port 1-Pin2 and Pin 3 are for my X Step and X Dir(alias names). Click each, X step and X Dir once, changing  X step from low to high and X Dir from high to Low or vice versa to get the reversed motion

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 09:09:59 PM by dovetail65 »
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2020, 08:42:56 AM »
Just to clear things up your just changing the DIR nothing else. My new load from Avid same thing yesterday and PS my VistaCNC M1 pendant does not work either!
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R Service and lots of Hobbys.
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2020, 09:09:57 AM »
I flipped both, works fine, I switched step back to active low works fine. So yeah changing just the DIR works.

I am so used to just using reverse in the motor section in Mach 3. Plus, becasue this system uses premade cables(I usually make my own cables using IGUS and just wire directly to the motor)swapping wires at the motor is more trouble than it's worth.

I thought becasue this was an older controller that might be the cause, I have to upgrade two boards to get with the 2019 updates, apparently the Avid profile needs to be changed. It's not a huge deal unless someone is new to Mach4 and an ESS where there are far more clicks to get to where we need to be to make changes. A newb might pull out their hair for a week trying to find the solution for this pretty simple fix.

What is the issue with the VistaCNC M1?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 09:23:47 AM by dovetail65 »
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2020, 07:45:26 PM »
I flipped both, works fine, I switched step back to active low works fine. So yeah changing just the DIR works.

I am so used to just using reverse in the motor section in Mach 3. Plus, becasue this system uses premade cables(I usually make my own cables using IGUS and just wire directly to the motor)swapping wires at the motor is more trouble than it's worth.

I thought becasue this was an older controller that might be the cause, I have to upgrade two boards to get with the 2019 updates, apparently the Avid profile needs to be changed. It's not a huge deal unless someone is new to Mach4 and an ESS where there are far more clicks to get to where we need to be to make changes. A newb might pull out their hair for a week trying to find the solution for this pretty simple fix.

What is the issue with the VistaCNC M1?

See above S & V reversed, it works fine with the old Mach4 and ESS plug in.

You can reverse the axis motor at the driver in the panel, you just  swap the wires around on one Phase A or B, not both and with the power off!  I have the NEMA 34 plug and play panel and I have been very impressed with it and Avid.
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R Service and lots of Hobbys.