Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:39:39 AM

Author Topic: My Shizouka AN-S  (Read 26251 times)

Offline alloy

•  28 28
    • View Profile
My Shizouka AN-S
« on: March 01, 2015, 11:44:53 PM »
I picked this up a couple of weeks ago for $2500.  Also bought a VFD from the guy to control the spindle motor.

I'm planning on using a DSMPC controller and Mach3.  A friend of mine is helping me.  I'm the machinist he's the electrical wizard.

We are going to try and get the tool changer working.  Although I'm not counting on that.

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
Re: My Shizouka AN-S
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 07:45:09 AM »
It looks a lot like my Yamazin, but I wish mine had a tool changer.

Vince
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 09:19:11 AM »
I owned one of those a few years back. That tool changer is called a Quick Draw and if you watch it work it looks like a gunslinger flipping his gun back in its holster. That is actually the first product sold by Fadal! It has its own electronics which can be flukey.

I saw recently that Primopal is offering a 4300 in/oz nema 42 stepper motor with a Leadshine digital drive the runs off 120-240 vac for about $400 an axis. I think that would be a great setup for this size machine.  I'd put an axis on the knee too. Changing tools and getting a set of short tooling to work with a quill Z axis is a real pain.

Offline alloy

•  28 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 03:56:00 PM »
The mill has Glentech servos on it so we are going to try and use them.

I know the tool changer is iffy at best. I didn't even know this type of tool changer existed until I saw this one. If it works then great, if not I'll rely on the armstrong tool change method. 

I'm not planning on putting an axis on the knee, but want to put a scale on it and hopefully I can get Mach3 to have just a readout for K axis.  I posted a question about that but no response yet.

I'm planning on a 4th axis later, but have to get it running first.

I just ordered a MPG for it, next I'll get the scales and reader heads, then the motion controller and breakout boards.

And I'm sure  will be more I need to buy.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 06:42:33 AM »
A member of this forum (mc) has a Matchmaker which is just a rebadged Shizouka and looks identical in almost every way, not sure how far he has got with retrofiitting it. He purchased it from someone I knew and I was actually going to purchase the toolchanger for my Beaver mill but sadly the pullstuds on my mill were too long for things to work out.
I had gone through to the owners place and we got the toolchanger working, it worked well and was a relatively simple affair. I am sure I have a copy of the toolchangers manual somewhere if it would be of any use (assuming I can find it), it may even have been posted on this forum originally.

Hood

Offline alloy

•  28 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 08:17:51 AM »
If you have a manual I'd really appreciate it.  Everything helps.

I've been looking for  manual for the mill itself but no luck on that at all.

I'm going to order my motion controller this week.  I picked up an MPG off Ebay yesterday for it. 

I run VMC's everyday at work, I can't wait to have a CNC  home :-)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 12:41:30 PM »
The manual is attached.
BTW in your other thread when I said about a User DRO, that is the CSMIO that uses it, I also have the Beaver Mill that uses the SmoothStepper and it has a similar setup for the Tool Height Setter. I just used one of the Encoder DROs in Mach.
Hood

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 07:47:22 PM »
Hood would you happen to have a PART manual for the quickdraw ?

(;-) TP

Offline alloy

•  28 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 12:02:54 AM »
Thank you Hood.  That really helps.

As far as I know the DSMPC has 8 outputs.  So X,Y,Z is 3, one for the spindle drive to the VFD, and one for a 4th axis.  That leaves 3 left.  My friend said we might use two of them for the tool changer and put steppers on it.  That still leaves me one outputs left to use.  So hopefully it all works out.

I ordered my scale reader heads today.  I'm going with these.  Got them for $80 each on a best offer. As soon as we get it all figured out I'll order the motion controller.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331258687517?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 03:47:57 AM »
Afraid not TP, thats all I have, just grabbed it when I saw it posted somewhere, you never know when it will come in handy, as has been evidenced here :)

Hood