Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:27:16 AM

Author Topic: Start Up and Shut Down Procedure of Machine with regards to Homing  (Read 3680 times)

Hi everyone,

I've scoured the forums and google but couldn't really find a concise answer...

I'm looking for a solution or routine to start up my machine each time that makes homing simple and repetitive. My machine is an Industrial CNC Router which has hard limit switches(they are not enabled as suggested by their setup manual because they say they wear out..(what's the point?!)) ...Anyway, so I use soft limits after settings machine 0,0,0.

Anyway, every time I start up my machine, I must manually move and set 0,0,0 for the machine coordinates.

1. Is there a way to automatically home the machine to hit the limits and set machine 0,0,0? like the machine will bump the hard limits and back off and set the correct parameters in Mach3?

2. Is there a button on the interface/screens to make the machine move to Machine 0,0,0 before I shut it down so when I boot it back up I just set my machine 0 before moving anything?(this is probably an easier solution)

Thanks!
SBDesigns

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Start Up and Shut Down Procedure of Machine with regards to Homing
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 07:29:30 PM »
Set the hard limits up as HOME switches (They can coexist) in Ports and pins/inputs.

Then Create a macro that FIRST warns you the machine is about to RefHome you click ok and runs the Code to Ref each axis to HOME. It will hit the switch then back off to the closed switch position. You can add an offset to each Axis to make it any position value that you want.

Place the macro name in the initiation line and it will RefHome anytime the machine is started OR reset.

Then you can turn on the softlimits and you are good to go.  Move to the Work point of origin and set it to ZERO.

(;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 11:06:21 AM »
Sounds like it's exactly what I need... but is there any detailed tutorial on this?

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 05:41:36 PM »
I don"t know of any but there could be Ill look.

Another idea to speed things up. When you are done for the day PARK the machine about 2 inches away from the home switches. That way on startup it only has to move a short distance to RefHome.

(;-) TP
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 03:55:12 PM »
I am interested in knowing if there was ever a detailed tutorial on this found. Please let me know.
Matt
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 04:10:03 PM »
Hi,
I've never encountered a detailed tutorial on it.

Once you have home switches referencing is as easy as hitting <Ref All Home> when you start Mach. Its that simple.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 10:56:45 PM »
how to find this tutorial ?
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 04:12:51 AM »
Hi,
there are quite a few videos on this stuff, this one is a good introduction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWJqC14TLKk

Craig
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 04:18:51 AM »
Hi,
the other simple thing to do is fit three home switches, one per axis on your machine. You'll learn more about home switches, referencing, soft limits
and home offsets in a couple of hours experimenting than you will by watching any 100 videos or tutorials. Get on and fit some switches already!!!!

Its common to put them at on end of the axis but you don't have to....anywhere within the travel of the axis will work fine.

Don't concern yourself with wiring them up to start with, its eay enough, just mount the switches.

Let us know when you've got it done.

Craig
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 01:35:01 PM »
Just out of interest, why do you want to home the machine?  In operation, you need to reference the tool to the workpiece, and that probably isn't located accurately relatively to Home.