Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:09:46 PM

Author Topic: DELTA-E VFD MODBUS BRAIN Help Needed  (Read 54887 times)

Offline mbele

•  58 58
    • View Profile
Re: DELTA-E VFD MODBUS BRAIN Help Needed
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 12:55:51 PM »
I know this is a lot to ask. Is there a way you can use Delta's VDTools to read the parameters from your VFD and send me the file for comparison.
It's not a problem. I'll do that on Saturday or Sunday. Can you post a link where I can download the application ? In the meanwhile, here's the list of params I've changed (IIRC) from default to custom (mostly unrelated):
00.03=3, 00.05=60 (all unrelated)
01.00=400, 01.01=200, 01.09=1, 01.10=1 (all unrelated/not applicable)
02.00=0, 02.01=0, 02.04=1 (not applicable/related to digital keypad)
03.08=2 (unrelated)
09.01=3, 09.02=?, 09.04=6 (modbus settings)
As you can see, there's not much here...I wanted to change a lot more, but I could not get detailed info on params I was interested in.

I am using a Delta VFD-E. I have manual controls for VFD on/off,  Fwd/Off/Rev, Emergency stop. There are two switches set to ACI and PNP.
I thought that you're using digital keypad accessory like I am. I do not have any auxiliary inputs / external terminals connected (just RJ connector) and I have no experience with that wiring method or related params.
If you're using ext terminals for manual operation, then the values for p02.01 should be 1 or 2 for manual operation and 4 for RS485 control (0=digital keypad), check the manual for p02.00 settings too.

Once I close the comm port, I noticed the VFD sets to 0
How did you noticed that without digital keypad display ? By running vdtools app ?

I then got another laptop running 32 bit  and downloaded and installed Mach3 and setup the comm port to 4 and matched your settings for the baud rate. I set the VFD on p2.00 and p2.01 to 4 and 3.  The VFD keeps the settings and once "Run Modbus" or "Modbus Input/Output Support" is checked the VFD goes to 0. 
Notice that params go to 0, not to 1, which is the default value for those params, and which you should use since you're not using digital keypad. This means that something is setting those params to that value, and that it is not a fallback in case of error (actually, in case of error param value should not be changed).

It may be that we've missed some simple step in configuring mach for modbus since you experienced the same behavior with fresh install, or it can be related to the usage of external inputs and related VFD params (have you tried disconnecting them, backup/reset the vfd params and start from scratch ?). Have you also tried toggling RTS after changing the modbus address from 1 to 0 ? I'm using rs232 to rs485 converter http://www.ebay.com/itm/RS232-RS485-RS-232-to-RS-485-Converter-Port-Powered-/231331240225?hash=item35dc6a9921  (price went up x2.5 since I bought it) which does not need that option, but since you've mentioned port number 4, I presume you're using USB to rs485 converter, and I've read that people had issues with RTS and those converters.
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 03:07:07 PM »
Here is the link to VDSoft program is located at http://www.delta.com.tw/product/em/drive/ac_motor/download/software/Delta_VFDSoft%20V1.48_20130903.zip 

Yes VDSoft will let you read all parameters from the from drive. I posted up a previous txt file. 

I have a lathe that I can run in by hand or by CNC. I can give up manual operation.  I have limited space and have to take off the keypad when covering the VFD.  I have the keypad installed.  I also included recent photos of the VFD and RS-485 connector.  I like yours much better. 

I am wondering if the manual configuration is the issue. Maybe the VFD senses the manual operation and goes to 0 from the VFD firmware. I wonder if this could be the fall back option you mentioned.   Which doesn't make sense because VDSoft can control it with no issues, but that might be special to VDSoft. 

There are two switches on the VFD AVI/ACI and NPN and PNP the documentation is lacking on what these are called and what they do. I just looked at the book and switched them to match the wiring.

On my old laptop I have a USB converted.  On the desktop, I have a physical serial port. I did toggle the RTS on and off and in modbus test it worked correctly. I just left it off.

Ya-Nvr-No  I am trying to run the motor direction and RPM with the Modbus configuration.  I looked at the Delta-EL series manual and they are the same.  You should be able to control the EL with the same configuration.

I will send out my VFD parameters and if you could check your switches on the VFD that might give me a clue on the issue.  I will research removing my manual controls.

Offline mbele

•  58 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2015, 04:44:49 AM »
VFD params export is attached. Default switch states are NPN and ACI (I never changed them), just like you have them on the picture.

I do not have heating in the workshop, and when temperatures are expected to go below -10*C, I disconnect VFD and take it home. I can't just disconnect rs232-rs485 converter because it's buried in the control box together with the PC and directly connected BOB covered with shielding plate, and all the cables have connectors that match control box case connectors...so I can only do tests in the workshop, and it's very cold these days.
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 10:39:07 AM »
I did a comparison between the our VFD parameters. Attached is the excel, I highlighted the parameters I am going to look at.  A large amount of the parameters are the same. There are some variations due to voltage and frequency but mostly me match up.

I installed a shop heater a few years ago. It was worth the money, but at zero it can not keep up and costs a small fortune to heat up and keep warm.  I no longer live in a place that gets colder that -6. I have been meaning to ask where do you live?  I am in Dallas,Texas. I travel for work all over the world working in large data centers and on computer network systems.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me solve this problem this has been stressful due to the amount of investment I have put into my equipment.  I checked the MACH3 version and I have Mach version R3.043.66.  It is the newest downloaded version. I have an older machine that is using the older version. If I can not sort out the parameters, I will dig out that machine and set it up.

Offline mbele

•  58 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2015, 02:20:23 PM »
In my case, params 02.00 and 02.01 depend on the "modbus control" led state when mach is closed, and I may have changed param 09.08 accidentally.

I live in Zagreb, Croatia, I'm self-employed computer programmer, and I really do not like to travel :D

I know how frustrating it can be... I have VFD noise issue... :)  People on this forum have been very kind to me, and I like to return that if I can.

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 10:34:54 AM »
Here is the update on the Delta VFD-E drive. I have been down with the flu and bad weather hit Dallas last week.
I was able to get the brain active and signals going to the VFD. I adjusted 09.03 which was the timeout detection. I also adjusted 09.07, which is response delay. I had the brain on and entered the motor command.  To my surprise the motor turned, but only briefly. Adjustments in those two values changed the amount of time the motor turned. I thought this was a positive sign that the communication to the motor worked, but the motor would spin then stop randomly and also change direction.  I thought the communication delays allowed the motor to turn, but the actual signals stopped the motor. 

I looked at the VFD display and it was flashing as the communication hit.  I looked at P02.00 and P02.01 and they flashed between 0 and 3.  I then decided it was time to remove the motor, VFD, and start over from the beginning. 

I used the VDSoft tool to pull the motor parameters and save the settings in a CSV.   I then decided it was time to wipe the VFD of all setting and return to factory default with parameter 00.02 to 10. The VFD made a beep and flashed the display and I knew it returned to factory default. 

I used VDSoft and entered the motor parameters. I exited VDSoft and physically checked the values on the VFD display.  Once I knew they were correct, I started MACH3 and sent the M03 command. To my surprise, the motor started up and worked perfectly. I now have on and off control.  All I can think of is that the VFD had some internal parameter conflict. Even viewing the parameters in VDSoft and matching them had no change to the problem.

My next task is to control the speed and display the RPM.  I have been working on the brain for that.  I have included pictures and the brain for review.  I am looking on the best way to control the motor speed with the S commands. I was able to get the motor to increase and decrease speed, but I have not found out the DRO field to display the RPM and bar graph to the side.

Offline mbele

•  58 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2015, 01:09:35 PM »
I'm glad you got it behaving :)

I suggest that you keep the brains for various VFD features in separate files. Once you got every feature working you can redo it in single file, if that's your preferred way.

To set the spindle speed, use the value from "Spin RPM - Ovrden DRO", this DRO contains actual commanded RPM including override. My spindle has max 24000RPM , and max freq 400Hz, so, for each Hz, RPM changes by 24000/400=60 - that's also my user-defined coefficient (p00.05) . To get frequency value from RPM, divide RPM by this coefficient. Frequency value for address/param 2001H can have two decimal places, so desired frequency should be multiplied by 100 to get the value that should be written. If you check my spindle speed brain, you'll see this formula (I think you can actually use that brain, just change the coefficient(60) to a value specific for your spindle).

I do not need to read actual spindle speed/freq from VFD - I've connected digital display to VFD with ribbon cable and mounted it outside the VFD enclosure, so I can see it. When I was thinking about doing it, I remember that there were some "logic" problems, so I just abandoned the whole idea.

I have two hints, first, check the Config/Spindle pulleys..., you can limit min/max RPM there (I have it set to min=4200,max=24000,ratio=1), and second, be careful when using "run from here", this feature does not execute S commands in g-code program (RPM will be read from DRO) and be sure to check "Start spindle" checkbox on "preparation move" form - it is unchecked by default (but once you check it, it stays checked).
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2017, 09:42:44 AM »
Hello, im intrested with Mach3 Brains settings for Delta VFD EL can you tell if this issue have been fix?
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2017, 04:44:37 PM »
So the main issues that I encountered was that the Delta VFD needed to be reset to default.  Once it was reset, the communications starting working correctly.  I would suggest resetting to default on the VFD and then setup the parameters to match what was listed in this thread.

I do have the MACH3 brains working and controlling the Delta VFD.
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2017, 11:51:49 AM »
Can you provide your settings I'm or some assistance, A video would be nice, if its possible.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 11:53:35 AM by soljah2k »