Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:53:17 PM

Author Topic: Another confused Noob  (Read 3532 times)

Another confused Noob
« on: January 18, 2015, 01:58:05 AM »
I've been beating my head on my mill for three days, time to ask the Pros for help. My mechanical logic is no match for electronics logic.
I'm trying to set up my auto tool zero on Mach 3. I have a Gecko 540 intertwined with an ethernet SS. So far I've produced the necessary block and wiring, entered VB code into macro for auto zero button and then commenced banging head (mine not machines) on table. At best all I get is a slow move on the Z axis until it touches the block and I get an Estop signal. At that time I have to unplug the block and reset the Estop to get the machine to move.  I assumed that I have the port (1) and pin (13) correct since I get a signal to stop. Mach 3 tells me I cannot use the automated pin selector for the ethernet SS hence I have to guess at this point. Below is the macro code inserted under button edit command. I am just getting the mill setup after purchasing the SS and so far all the simple moves and programs are working.

CurrentFeed = GetOemDRO(818) 'Get the current feedrate.
PlateThickness =2.040

If GetOemLed (825)=0 Then
DoOEMButton (1010)
Code "G4 P3" 'Time to get to the z-plate, 3 seconds
Code "G90 G31 Z-2 F4" ' probing move, can set the feed rate here as well as how far to move
While IsMoving()
Wend
ZProbePos = GetVar(2002)
Code "G1 Z" &ZProbePos
While IsMoving ()
Wend
Call SetDro (2, PlateThickness)
Sleep(120)
Code "G0 Z2.785" 'Change the Z retract height here to what you want, must be higher than touch plate
Code "(Z axis is now zeroed)"
Code "F" &CurrentFeed 'returns to prior feedrate
Else
Code "(Z-Plate is grounded, check connection and try again)"
End If
Exit Sub   

Any further help or guidance would be greatly appreciated...I'm out of band aids for my forehead.

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
Re: Another confused Noob
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 03:37:17 AM »
I've been beating my head on my mill for three days, time to ask the Pros for help. My mechanical logic is no match for electronics logic.
I'm trying to set up my auto tool zero on Mach 3. I have a Gecko 540 intertwined with an ethernet SS. So far I've produced the necessary block and wiring, entered VB code into macro for auto zero button and then commenced banging head (mine not machines) on table. At best all I get is a slow move on the Z axis until it touches the block and I get an Estop signal. At that time I have to unplug the block and reset the Estop to get the machine to move.  I assumed that I have the port (1) and pin (13) correct since I get a signal to stop. Mach 3 tells me I cannot use the automated pin selector for the ethernet SS hence I have to guess at this point. Below is the macro code inserted under button edit command. I am just getting the mill setup after purchasing the SS and so far all the simple moves and programs are working.

CurrentFeed = GetOemDRO(818) 'Get the current feedrate.
PlateThickness =2.040

If GetOemLed (825)=0 Then
DoOEMButton (1010)
Code "G4 P3" 'Time to get to the z-plate, 3 seconds
Code "G90 G31 Z-2 F4" ' probing move, can set the feed rate here as well as how far to move   
While IsMoving()
Wend
ZProbePos = GetVar(2002)
Code "G1 Z" &ZProbePos
While IsMoving ()
Wend
Call SetDro (2, PlateThickness)
Sleep(120)
Code "G0 Z2.785" 'Change the Z retract height here to what you want, must be higher than touch plate
Code "(Z axis is now zeroed)"
Code "F" &CurrentFeed 'returns to prior feedrate
Else
Code "(Z-Plate is grounded, check connection and try again)"
End If
Exit Sub   

Any further help or guidance would be greatly appreciated...I'm out of band aids for my forehead.

Z-2 is how far down it will move
F4 is feed rate of 4 if you are in inch it 4 inch per if you are in mm its 4 mm per or dead slow

what pin do you have the e stop connected to if its 13 that's the answer the touch probe needs to be on a pin all by its self

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 08:04:53 AM »
I assumed that I have the port (1) and pin (13) correct since I get a signal to stop. Mach 3 tells me I cannot use the automated pin selector for the ethernet SS hence I have to guess at this point.

If you wired it, why do you have to guess? Figure out which pin it's wired to first, and it might save you several hours in the long run.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 02:26:04 PM »
I fail to understand the flow of electrons  through all these devices. I don't grasp how terminals on the G540 relate to ports and pins. My tool clip is wired to terminal 1 and the block is wired to V- . If there is something in writing somewhere that explains ports & pins and how to access them from a ESS or G540, I'd like to read it. I just haven't found it. I'm building by pictures, examples and a whole lot of reading on this forum.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 02:50:38 PM »
Ger21,
Thanks for the motivation. I pulled out the manuals for my stuff and finally the light went on. The terminals are directly related to pins. I found my data. I have the wrong pin selected so in a short while I'm going back to the shop and try pin 10. But one thing still not clear to me is the port assignments. Where does that come from?

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 02:54:48 PM »

MAIN TERMINAL BLOCK PINOUT says what pin you set it to in Mach config
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 05:00:38 PM »
Thanks Daniellyall & ger21, I've got the autozero working. I did have the wrong pin assigned. Now I've created a new problem. The autozero changes all my table coordinates and work offsets to zero at that location. I'm searching the forum for that problem but as usual my search parameters don't bring up results. Is there an answer to this as well? I've compared the macros and they all have the same language for zeroing the DROs. The softlimits are turned on until my limit switches come in. I've tried it with and without softlimits set and same results. 

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 05:15:23 PM »
good that you have it working sort of

your other new problem auto zero sets the work coordinates for the Z axis work zero so if you have tools loaded it will know each tool`s Z zero at work Z zero.
someone else will hopeful explain it better than what I can
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 10:01:39 PM »
I figured it out and am now working like a madman. The "persistent DROs" in the general config was turned on. Plus I installed an older version of Mach, just in case it was a bug. Thanks for all the support and advice. It led me in the right direction.