Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 01:20:52 PM

Author Topic: Mach 4 install problems with smoothstepper  (Read 12513 times)

Mach 4 install problems with smoothstepper
« on: January 10, 2015, 09:37:04 AM »
Hi
I copied the two smoothstepper files to the Plugin directory. When I enter the IP address Mach4
locks up. In Mach3 when I was setting up the SS it had some popup dialog boxes shown on the
screen. I don`t see any with my setup. Reading the SS install manual it leads me to believe there
are on screen setups. If so something is wrong.

Thanks
Re: Mach 4 install problems with smoothstepper
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 07:40:52 AM »
HI,
Make sure you enabled the ESS  under Configure > Select Motion Dev

Make sure your Ethernet cable is sound.

I had both these situations happen and mach4 was crashing...  after I checked both.. connection to the ESS was a breeze.

Offline lgr

•  44 44
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 06:59:38 PM »
I have similar problems when I open Mach 4 I get an error message "CTftp::wakeupclient(): Board does not reply." and then another error message 10.9.9.9 is not responding.when i go to the ESS configuration screen there are no options in the IP address window and when I enter 10.9.9.1 manually it disappears when I close and reopen the screen. Thanks for any and all suggestions
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 10:30:48 AM »
Hi
I just installed the newest version of Mach 4 and the smooth stepper began to work. Setting the ports
and pins looks to be very difficult.

Offline Bronk

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 10:02:30 AM »
Similar issues. Once I got the firewall opened the 2 would sort of talk. It takes 2 tries to initialize the smooth stepper board however. Error on each startup of mach4 until I have it retry.
I also had ended up with no motors available on the config page ( I had unchecked them trying to figure out how to set) and had to do a complete reinstall including deleting the mach4 hobby directory to get them back.
Now I can't get anything to move or detect inputs. I am using a leedshine mx4660 ( similar to the g540) . The mx4660 is configure don port 1 of the ess.  X axis is motors 0 &1, y is motor 2, z is motor 3
Not even the emergency stop shows up in the diagx screen. It is connected as the mx4660 will flash faults when it is hit. Inverting the e-stop polarity into eh mach4 config will make it light up but still not respond to the switch.

Is there some guidance on default settings for this relatively simple configuration?  Maybe a default xp file or screen shots of what must be enabled?

Offline Bronk

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 07:59:52 PM »
with a bit more testing I see:
Configure inputs and outputs screens do not retain the device ESS after restarting. It can be selected but does not remember the setting on restarting mach4 (or leaving config and re-entering)
Input name column only shows a blank picklist.
If I bring up the diagnostics and jogging, then enable, Nothing happens except if I hit X-  then the Y axis starts slowly erratically stepping (~ 2 hz average rate by ear) and does not stop until I hit the X+ button. this is the same whether using mouse or keyboard

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 11:20:43 PM »
bronk i see you have x as 0 & 1 you sure

it should be X = 0, Y = 1, Z = 2 if you have a slave for x it should be 3, 4, 5, so on.

inputs and outputs will only save for motion device selected be it sim, ess what ever have you looked through the new ess manual settings are the same just different place.

I will be have a go at connected my ess up to M4 next week.

can you wack up a screen shot of your settings page by page

Offline Bronk

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 09:07:14 AM »
Here are my config screens. I dont know if I need all of these plugins enabled other than ESS or not. I have tried both ways.
The inputs I would expect that in thepicklist it would have ESS ports and pins but the list is blank and wont let me type. IN the device columns I can select ESS but when I close and reopen the selections are gone. the only thing things that seem to "stick are the enable/ disable and the active high/ low invert.

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 01:29:24 PM »
change slave 1 to 3 and put y to 1 and z to 2 remove simulator from the plugin folder could be interfering with the ess it does with Darwin do you know how to set the motor settings dum question I know but

Offline Bronk

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 09:54:23 PM »
Thank you. Your suggestions got me on the right path. It LIVES and moves. ;D
I don't know which changes exactly made the difference (sort of a shot gun approach).
I moved the simulator files out of the plugins folder.
Reset the ESS as the output device.
Now I could configure the pins for the ESS in its plug in i/o configuration.
Then go back to the Configure Mach outputs and inputs and make selections (the pin pull down menus now work).
Charge pump is working now.
Y and Z motors and carriages are moving. Hitting close to 200 ipm despite having the wrong pitch ball screws (5mm sent rather than 10 )
I still have to mount the X axis screws and motors.  
eStop has to be disabled. Otherwise it shows always active (I think a previous post said this was broken in Mach4).  It shows as working in the ESS diagnostic panel
Next will be troubleshooting the inputs. I have inputs 1-4 configured but no results even in the ESS diagnostic panel.  >:(