Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:11:12 PM

Author Topic: Smooth Stepper and your favorite breakout board...your opinions please.  (Read 8882 times)

So in my last thread I asked about opinions on 64bit or not to 64bit.

Baring any further insight from that thread, < http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,28751.0.html > I come to my next question for the group.

For those that are using SS or a similar motion controller, what break out board (BOB) do you like and why?

My research seems to lead me to the C10 or similar.

The goal for my machine is to run both a spindle and a plasma cutter (No not at the same time silly...but that would be interesting).  I am planning a 3 axis machine with 4 motors (2 on the 'Y').
For community support I plan to use Mach3 as the software control.

Thanks for taking the time to give your input.  I'm tired of doing things in a vacuum so your experience is invaluable.

P.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 10:02:34 AM by sbirdranch »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Smooth Stepper and your favorite breakout board...your opinions please.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 12:53:19 PM »
For a simple 3 axis machine the LPT version works just fine. No outside controller needed. THC for the plasma works fine as well.

Just a thought(;-) TP

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 04:45:34 AM »
On the machines I still have SS and ESS on I use a PMDX  breakout.

Hood
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 07:26:39 AM »
I have a lathe and a mill and both of them use the ESS and PMDX boards. I previously used the C11 and C23 boards, but, found that the PMDX boards to be a bit more bullet proof to survive this old mans brain farts :)

pete
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 08:36:32 AM »
I have continued to do my research.   When considering the C10...20..40 boards, I found it helpful to use the comparison chart they provided.
http://www.cnc4pc.com/BB.htm

So the rub gets deeper here.

If I use the SS or ESS, I have 2 and 3 'parallel' ports respectively.  Only three C## boards handle two ports.   None of them handle three.

So why would I want to spend the extra $ on an ESS.  Is ethernet connectivity that much better? I don't need a long cable run so that is not a concern.

So assuming (see..there I go.) that USB is comparable, and based on my needs as I know them, I can do with a single PP type interface.  I do want the opportunity for relays and some level of safety, I like the C11 board from that selection.

Based on the feedback you've provided, I am going to check out the PMDX boards and make a final decision.

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 08:41:20 AM »
Any USB device is subject to problems with electrical interference. Ethernet is MUCH more stable in this regard. You can use three single port BOBs, one two port and one one port, etc. If you don't need three ports then don't use the third port.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 10:56:11 AM »
Jeff,

Thanks for your input.  I purchased an ESS and have it up and running.  It went super smooth.  Assuming you are associated with Soigeneris I'd like to say thank you for the site and documentation.  Shipping the board was very quick.

SBR

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 04:33:01 AM »
ESS (it replaced a USB SS) and two MB-06 BoBs from Homann Designs. Pretty rugged.
3rd port not in use yet.

cheers
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 12:22:07 PM »
The time has gone by, here is a new product for your need.

The MB2 is an Industrial environment BOB, featuring: 6 Axis Line driver; I/O that utilizes all 3 ports of the ESS; OSSD safety output; Status LEDs for all signals; Requires a single 24V power supply.
Specification and Features:

-With ESS, Ethernet connection helps controller and drives located away from PC and has more noise resistant than USB and parallel port connection.
-Run on Mach3 / Mach4 with Windows XP, Win7, Win8 both 32 and 64 bit, on both desktop and notebook computers.
-New! Utilizes All 3 ports of ESS.
-New! Motion command signal can be selected between Pulse/Sign, CW/CCW, Quadrature. Frequency can be selected from 32 KHz to 4 MHz.
-New! Differential line driver for motion signals, makes a longer wiring with more resistant to interference when comparing to TTL open end.
-New! Single 24Vdc Power supply is needed. On the board consist of  5Vdc isolate and non-isolate dc2dc converter, thus saving installation space and wiring.
-And more...

Product Link.
http://www.cncroom.com/break-out-board/smooth-stepper

The CNCRoom.com, the place where Industrial Hobbyists can talk and trade!
www.cncroom.com/forum