Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:56:25 AM

Author Topic: Different speed in material and above  (Read 6682 times)

Re: Different speed in material and above
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 04:59:05 AM »
Usualy I make G code with ArtCAM.
Is there any software that can change G00 G01 speeds automatically instead of me doing it manually in Notepad ?

The Gcode G00 / G01 moves are usually automatically taken care of by the post processor used in ArtCam.
Are you using a Mach3 post processor ?

Tweakie.

I don't know what exactly do you mean by ''post processor''.
I use ArtCAM to generate G code and than I use MACH 3 to transfer it to machine. I just upload saved code in MACH 3 and start the job.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 06:50:42 AM »
I don't know ArtCam but the post-processor is a part of the program that adjusts the code generated to suit various machines - G-Code has many different flavours and needs tweaking to suit the hardware.

It is usually an option at save time or in the preferences somewhere - you need a processor that lists Mach3 etc, its probably using a generic one which sort of works most times.

The feed and speed are usually set in the CAM stage of the job and then passed through the processor as G and F parameters etc.
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 07:44:07 AM »
Thank you guys for help!

I get it all.

Where was the problem?! Well since I'm pretty new to CNC processing I didn't saw that there is in ArtCAM under ''Profiling tool'' menu a tab where you can set Feed rate , Plunge rate, RPM and so on.

I was doing a mistake by leaving all the time default value for 2 mm End mill which was 13 mm/sec. That default value (13 mm/sec) was too fast for aluminium engraving so instead of changing Feed rate in ArtCAM I was limiting my machine speed in Mach 3 under tab ''Motor and tuning''. That resulted with a enormous waste of time in every one of my jobs.

Now I set my Mach 3 machine speed to 1500 mm/min and that allows fast movement over the material, but when mill touch the material than it slows down to a speed I've entered in ArtCAM under ''Profiling tool'' values.

Next thing I need to do is to calculate feed rates and RPM for my 2 mm carbide End mill and input that settings in ArtCAM.

This was pretty simple problem to solve but for every other confused person out there  I tried to explain the best I could where I was mistaken.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 07:47:50 AM by Shaggy »

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 07:50:36 AM »
I can get you some figures if you let me know your spindle power and what type of tool - 1flute or two flute etc.

Or you can look in to a program called HSMAdvisor its great for speeds and feeds but you will need to know how to set it for a small machine as it assumes industry size stuff :)

Once set correctly, the motor tuning never really gets looked at again, unless you alter the machine etc.

Is there a tool library feature in ArtCam - this is where i would set my feeds for each tool/material combination then its just a simple matter to choose the tool when doing the CAM and you always get the right speed settings etc. :)

I use 2m single flute carbide a lot in aluminium and on my machine i use 24,000rpm, 370mm/min feed, 1mm depth max, 0.59mm width max and it will run this all day.
You can tune differently though as it will also run a 5mm cut depth but only at a max of 0.1mm engagement - great for finish passes.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 07:54:11 AM by Davek0974 »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 08:43:34 AM »
There is lot of "stuff" out there on speeds and feeds.
Have a look at the PDF in the link below to get grounded on the subject.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,20045.msg138970.html#msg138970

RICH
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 10:41:42 AM »
I can get you some figures if you let me know your spindle power and what type of tool - 1flute or two flute etc.

Or you can look in to a program called HSMAdvisor its great for speeds and feeds but you will need to know how to set it for a small machine as it assumes industry size stuff :)

Once set correctly, the motor tuning never really gets looked at again, unless you alter the machine etc.

Is there a tool library feature in ArtCam - this is where i would set my feeds for each tool/material combination then its just a simple matter to choose the tool when doing the CAM and you always get the right speed settings etc. :)

I use 2m single flute carbide a lot in aluminium and on my machine i use 24,000rpm, 370mm/min feed, 1mm depth max, 0.59mm width max and it will run this all day.
You can tune differently though as it will also run a 5mm cut depth but only at a max of 0.1mm engagement - great for finish passes.

I use 1 Flute 2 mm end mill from sorotec - http://www.sorotec.de/shop/Cutting-Tools/END-MILLS/END-Mill-ALU-412/End-Mill-Z1--2-0mm-SL-5-ALU.html

There is tool library in ArtCAM and setting parameters for each tool is my next step.

My engraving does not go deeper than 0,5 mm so till now i did 2 step down's of 0,25 mm each.
When you say 1 mm max depth do you make that depth in single pass or you make it in a couple of passes (step downs)  ?

@RICH

Thank you for link !

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 10:48:38 AM »
Depends on the process - if slotting then no, multiple step-downs, if side-milling then yes but only with engagement of 0.59mm max - you have to balance one with the other especially at this tool size.

I think i go to 0.3mm step-down if slotting (cutting full-width) but keep the speed/feed rates.

I use "Alu-Power" single-flute YG carbide from CutWell ltd
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 10:52:28 AM by Davek0974 »