Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:53:30 AM

Author Topic: Driver watchdog triggered.  (Read 7966 times)

Offline c30232

•  122 122
    • View Profile
Driver watchdog triggered.
« on: August 10, 2014, 02:06:34 PM »
I have used Mach in a given configuration with great success.  The OS is XP-SP3 and the only added hardware is/was a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse.  It worked flawlessly.  If it ain't broke don't fix it, however, my trusty assistant decided that we needed wireless communication with the network and an app to run the iPad as a pendant.  Upon installation of the aforementioned the system went south and displayed "Driver watchdog triggered."  Mach then transitions to all stop.

We tried a verity of remedies with no luck.  I then reformatted the HD and installed the following:

1)  Windows XP

2)  Mach 3

3) The OEM touchscreen driver.

The system seemed to be fine running with a wired keyboard and touchscreen.  I plugged the wireless mouse in and coincidentally/incidentally the system transitioned into all stop displaying again "Driver watchdog triggered."

Keeping in mind that the configuration once worked and we started with a newly formatted HD, are there any ideas regarding the issue causing the watchdog trigger?  With clean installs and a dedicated computer there are no added components that were not present when the system functioned flawlessly.

Is watchdog required to be enabled?  If disabled, what is the downside? 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Driver watchdog triggered.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 02:33:12 PM »
If things are fine otherwise then there will not be a problem disabling it.
I would however look in the BIOS to see if the voltages and temps are within spec, also run the driver test to see how that looks.
Hood

Offline c30232

•  122 122
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 03:38:18 PM »
Thanks,

Interesting that you mention temp.  We just installed the panel mount computer in an enclosure and suspected heat as an issue.  The computer behaved kinda/sorta like a hot CPU.  However, it seemed normal after re-configuration.  We monitored the temps and they seem okay so far.  We will watch closely when it is running for longer periods.

Is there any downside at all to disabling watchdog?  Is there substantial benefit to enabling watchdog?   

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 03:59:32 AM »
Art has recommended in the past just to disable the watchdog if you have issues with it, some systems seem to have issues, I think the watchdog is possibly just a bit sensitive.

The likely issue with disabling is it will not pick up if your systems pulsing is erratic but you would soon know if that was the case as you would be losing steps etc, so I would say dont worry about it unless you have issues.

Regarding temps and voltages, just check them as it could be the motherboard on its way out, or even a bad power supply giving erratic voltages.

Hood

Offline c30232

•  122 122
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 12:42:43 PM »
Thanks Hood,

Missed steps are one demon we wanted to rid ourselves of.  Our current software works well except for that little irritation that pops up just at the wrong time.  When we first tested Mach we ran a 6 hour carving, watchdog enabled,  with no known issues.  We have had our share of surprises including purchasing pirated Mach and my first ever hard drive failure.  Therefore, we have loaded the OS and Mach several times on two different HDs.  In the end when it was time to clean things up and install everything in its proper place including moving the panel mount computer from the rats nest on the bench to the final panel we cleaned the HD and reloaded every thing one final time.  Everything worked just fine.

The mystery to me is what has occurred that cannot be corrected by a fresh install of the complete system today.  The only thing that has changed is we are using IT's disk to install XP, perhaps there is a difference with versions.

Is there a process to detect lost steps?  That is, does Mach know if it was bumped by XP and log the event?  It is seemingly working fine but missed steps, in my experience, are not easily detectable until I machine something expensive . . . XP seems to know when to mess it up.   

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 06:43:38 PM »
Have you looked in the Bios to see if the voltages and temps are normal? Also check the motherboard and see if there are any visible signs of capacitors bulging or leaking.

Regarding losing steps, only real way to know is if your parts dont come out right I suppose.
Hood

Offline c30232

•  122 122
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 07:21:15 PM »
The temp/voltage seem okay.  It is a bit of a chore to just have a look at the board.  I did look at it during a HD change a short time ago.  Oddly, I ran a Gecko 540 xml today with no issues.  The 540 xml has watchdog enabled.  The computer is a Xycom panel mount with touch screen.  I have three of them and picked up a HD for one of the spares.  I will swap out the computer as we continue to wire the new enclosure.

I also picked up a small frame computer to run with the 540.  It has Windows 7 already installed.  Is there any issue running Mach on 7?  How is Mach 4 working for you?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 03:37:56 AM »
Do you have the Kernel set higher in your xml compared to the gecko one?
Hood

Offline c30232

•  122 122
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 05:01:49 PM »
Both are at 25,000 Hz.  When I can transfer them, I will post the xmls.  Maybe something will stand out.

Offline c30232

•  122 122
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 04:05:07 PM »
We connected to the Gecko computer to the problem machine and all seems normal running windows 7 with watchdog enabled.  However, a new issue has come to life with the original computer/config.  That is, in jog mode at approx 150 IPM the movement is smooth.  But when in rapid movement under direction of G-Code the movement is rough, jerky, and stalling.  The same is true, mostly stalling, when machining at 20 IPM.