Hello Guest it is June 16, 2019, 05:38:38 PM

Author Topic: Breakout board turns off when opening mach3  (Read 1866 times)

Breakout board turns off when opening mach3
« on: August 02, 2014, 07:22:05 AM »
Newbie here.  

When i start my computer the led on the BOB lights up until i open mach 3.  When i open mach3 the BOB light turns off and won't turn on again until i restart my computer.  I believe it could be my setting in mach3 because even if i disconnect the BOB and use a voltmeter to watch the parallel port pins i see the power turn off when starting mach 3.

Have a longs kit (bob db25-1205, 3 axis, dm860a drivers) wired up according to the included schematic.  Running a 32bit machine with an onboard parallel port.  Parallel port is set to lpt1, hex 378, bios for the port is set on ecp mode.

I have tried with "motor outputs" and "input signals" selected as enabled and also turned off.  I have tried all combinations of enabled and active high/low for the estop setting.

Inputs greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  7,807 7,807
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
Re: Breakout board turns off when opening mach3
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 08:23:52 AM »
even if i disconnect the BOB and use a voltmeter to watch the parallel port pins i see the power turn off when starting mach 3.

Are you trying to power the BOB from your parallel port ??

Tweakie.
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.  Winston Churchill.
Re: Breakout board turns off when opening mach3
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 09:42:04 AM »
I was.  The longs diagram doesnt show an additional 5v power supply so i thought the parallel port must power the board.  Since figured out that i need an external supply.  I hooked one up and the board is working.    Thank you for your reply.  Now my issue is that i only get one motor pulse when jogging before the driver faults.