Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 12:47:56 AM

Author Topic: How can I run Mach 3 on a bandit 3 mill  (Read 5197 times)

How can I run Mach 3 on a bandit 3 mill
« on: March 23, 2007, 11:19:25 PM »
I have a Bandit 3 (allan Bradley 8400)controller with copley 215 servo amps & mb2's. What else do I need to use Mach 3. I am running Mach on a little mill now and love it. Thanks for the help.
Re: How can I run Mach 3 on a bandit 3 mill
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 01:00:48 AM »
Scrap the controller is the first thing. Havnt heard a good thing about the bandits.

You can interface to a PC either through the parallel port or a Gecko G100 and connect that tot he amps with Skyko pixies. You will have to add encoders to the motors for positional feedback if there are none. I used Opto 22 modules to control all the contactors for servo power, fwd/rev, coolant, ect. Actually a very simple job.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 10:10:02 PM »
Thanks for the help. Is there any way that I can drip feed this setup?
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 11:05:55 PM »
Drip feed? Dont need to with mach.

Or do you mean not dedicating another computer to the control?

Thats where a Grex will come in handy. Once the plugin gets further along you should be able to control 2 machines from one PC with one Grex or put a grex in both machines, or run the mill off the grex and the old machine of the parallel port.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 10:50:38 PM »
Hello gentlemen,

I have a Shizuoka mill with Bandit III control. It has been a constant source of problem since the day I bought it. I would like to replace it with Mach3. The tough part is I am an absolute novice with electronics & electrical stuff. With the exception of replacing AA battries in my tv remote control, I am clueless about circuitry.  Please help me out with very basic information.

Apart from aquiring a Mach3 software, what components do I need to purchase?

macona,
'You can interface to a PC either through the parallel port or a Gecko G100 and connect that tot he amps with Skyko pixies.'

What is a tot he amps, Geko G100 & skyko pixies? Can I get these components at a computer store or do I have to get it at a speciality store?

'You will have to add encoders to the motors for positional feedback if there are none. I used Opto 22 modules to control all the contactors for servo power, fwd/rev, coolant, ect. Actually a very simple job.'

Is adding an encoder another electronic component I need to purchase & where do I attach it to?

I have been told, the machine comes with servo motors. According to many forums, servo motors are better than stepper motors. Therefore, I'd like to retain these servo motors.

sorry for the long questions. My CNC Shizuoka / Bandit / Summit tool changer is malfunctioning at will & the cost of getting the Bandit repair guy to my location regularly is very costly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Regards

Marcus

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 05:41:11 AM »
First thing is the G100, and Pixies are no longer made so that is not an option. The G100 never worked properly with Mach and the pixies sometimes worked and sometimes didnt, it depended on your amplifiers and as mentioned the guy stopped making them anyway.
There are a few options though.
If you wish to keep the original amplifiers there is Galil, DSPMC, CSMIO/IP-A (soon to be on sale) , Kflop with Kanalog. These will all control analogue amplifiers.
The pricesare in order listed, Galil being very expensive and Kflop/Kanalog probably the cheapest.

Your other option would be to replace the amplifiers with Step/Dir capable drives, probably the most suitable would be the bigger drives from cncdrives.com.

You will need encoders, your motors may have encoders already or it may have resolvers. There is a guy presently doing a mill with the Bandit Control and he will be using the original amps and a Kflop/Kanalog but his motors have resolvers and he is having to buy encoders that will fit on instead of the resolver.
You will find info here, http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,21612.0.html
Personally I think I would have taken another route rather than the Kflop/Kanalog but they do seem to work well for people that have them so maybe it would be a good choice, just not for me..
Hood