Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:25:41 AM

Author Topic: Kasuga NC mill to CNC ?'s  (Read 55891 times)

Kasuga NC mill to CNC ?'s
« on: May 19, 2012, 04:41:55 PM »
Hey every1 super new to this stuff but not new to running CNC's . I have a couple omniturns and I have always wanted a mill. I found a deal that was hard to pass up so I got one. I have just aquired a Kasuga mill with a bandit control and QuickDraw tool changer. The bandit has got to go. I tried to power it up but no dice. The control turns on but no "bright light" display. A few LEDs light up inside the control and the fan turns on. If I hit the breaker in the back the reset light turns on and the reload light also.

It has 3 summit dana DC servo motors 90V 74A 1430RPM. I couldn't get the spindle to start maybe I'm doing something wrong. I need to break out the volt meter and test the wires to the motor. Someone at the machine dealer pinched and most likely severed the cable with a forklift.

Anyhow I want to run a new control on here w/ Mach 3. I have no clue where to start any and all help is much appreciated. I was going to try and test the servo motors but I can't get the control to do anything.

Are my servo motors good enough for what I plan to do. I want to have an expandable setup and run a 4th axis on it. I have a old HAAS SRT laying around and I was wondering if I got the plug for it and wired it into my control would Mach 3 run it?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 04:43:35 PM by K_Labs »
Re: Kasuga NC mill to CNC ?'s
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 08:04:24 PM »
What are my BOB and motion controller options? I also want a VFD but again no idea which one to get it has a 5 HP 3 phase motor 220V
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 10:11:50 PM »
Take a look at MachMotion equipment; www.machmotion.com. They build CNC machines and sell retrofit kits. The mill you have is a fairly solid mill as I recall. If the motors and amps are OK, you can install a controller and control panel. You will need newer differential encoders, but the limit switches and ref switches are probably good to go. Machmotion can advise you on a VFD, as they sell several different sizes.
The Bandit control is from the early 1980's, and was a low end control then. Also, you need to spec out the amps, to know if they will work with a newer controller. To end up with a reliable machine, I would go with an external controller, and bypass the parallel port type of installation.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 03:34:38 AM »
There are a few controllers on the market now that can output to analogue amplifiers, a few I know are

Kflop with Kanalog
CSMIO/IP-A
DSPMC
Galil

They range in price, I think in the order I have listed. I have no experience with any but as soon as threading on a lathe is done I will be buying  either the  CSMIO/IP-A  or possibly the CSMIO/IP-S (step/dir model) as they seem to have very good specs/price.

Can you provide more info about the rotary table such as what kind of motor/drive it has, if an all in one unit what kind of signal input does it require.

Hood
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 12:20:03 PM »
I am not really looking to buy a set to go controller because it seems like if I get a cheap one it's just a plain old computer in a fancy case. So if I get one that is expensive I just get a fancier case and a better computer.  Couldn't I just use a computer I have laying around and buy the BOB's and motion contollers. The main reason I want to do this is so I can actually learn the in's and out's of the machine. I really would like to kinda DIY the easy stuff.  
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 12:27:43 PM »
http://www.rotaryeng.net/Nc-Mill-How-To.html

I really like this guys setup. He is running ECM2
Is there any reason I can't copy his and run Mach?
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 12:54:48 PM »
Hood the 4th axis has a 1.5hp DC Servo motor. Still trying to figure out the signal.

The manual says positioning of the platter is accOmplished through a specially ground heat treated self locking worm and worm gear set. The worm is connected to a 1.5 HP DC servo motor through a 1.5:1 ratio timing belt

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 01:19:48 PM »
http://www.rotaryeng.net/Nc-Mill-How-To.html

I really like this guys setup. He is running ECM2
Is there any reason I can't copy his and run Mach?

You cant copy it exactly as he is using the mesa cards which Mach doesnt have a plugin for. It is supposed to be in the pipeline but when it will be done is anyones guess.
That being said there are the options I mentioned earlierwhich would be a similar kind of setup. Of course you could always go with EMC2, some seem to like it but as I have never tried it I cant comment.

Your reasoning on the kit V DIY route is the way I think, not only can you do it cheaper you can do it exactly how you want. That said though some people dont have the will or want to go that route and thats where the kits come in.

On the rotary, do you have a pdf of the manual you could attach?
Hood
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 03:41:12 PM »
I don't have a PDF but I can scan it and get it on here. I have personally never used Mach but  I saw the video with the DIY edgefinder and tool locator has me sold.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 05:08:44 PM »
Ok that would be good.
Hood