Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:51:34 AM

Author Topic: Stepper motors chattering at reset problem?  (Read 7335 times)

Stepper motors chattering at reset problem?
« on: March 23, 2007, 04:54:32 PM »
Any help with this one is greatly appreciated!!
My name is Werner,  I have set up a new machine and had Mach3 working great with one computer only to have it freak out at startup with another.  Specifically the problem is when I click reset.  The motors start to chatter getting some crazy signals .  I have tried a lot of thing to this point:  switch computer a few times without moving wires around, tried it in Sherline mode, tried changing the kernel speed,  different parallel cables, motor tuning not that I thought this would do anything!  Keep in mind I have the same version of Mach3 on both computers and appear to have everything configured the same.  At this point I am not sure what is going on.  I am using a PMDX-131 with 201s and Win XP.

Thank in advance!
Werner   

Hood

Re: Stepper motors chattering at reset problem?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 06:00:12 PM »
Have you run the drive test to see if your computer has a clean pulse?
Hood

ps you will find it in the mach3 folder
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 06:02:39 PM »
Yeah I did run the drive test it looks really clean!!

Hood

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 06:31:08 PM »
Try stopping everything starting up in windows by going to msconfig, if it cures the problem then add one back at a time to find the app that is causing the problem.
 If you have a PCI parallel port you could try that to see

Hood
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 07:52:53 PM »
Thanks Hood good suggestion I will let you know – running to Microcenter to pick up parallel card!!
Werner
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 01:04:24 PM »
Well got a chance to try quite a few thing with no luck!!  I did picked up a parallel card installed it and configured Mach3 to use it and am getting the same weird stepper chatter.  I all so tried a lot of suggestion on another post [url]http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=2496.0 by Fredhead dealing with installing a second parallel port.  I have two other XP machines I will try playing with.  Still open to suggestion!!

Thanks
Werner
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 03:38:30 PM »
Something else I noticed was the look of the Port 1 current state led are lit on the problem computer but not on the one that works.  Here is the attachment of Diagnostics page you will see what I am seeing.

Thanks
Werner
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 09:36:11 PM »
Here is the latest.  It appears to my 4 out of the five systems I have at my disposal don’t like the driver that was loaded with Mach3.  My reason for thinking this is Mach2 works just fine of course with the Mach2 driver.  As a matter of fact Mach2 was doing the same weird chatter noise thing so long as the Mach3 driver was still in the Device Mangers Mach X pulsing Engines drop-down.  After removing the Mach3 driver there Mach2 works fine!!  I am wondering if I can run Mach3 with a mach2 driver??

Thanks
Werner

Hood

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 05:29:56 AM »
Mach2 and 3 can co-exist on a computer as long as you dont try and run them at the same time, I have Mach2, Mach3 and Quantum all on the same computer and dont have a problem. Why you are having these problems I dont know :( What version of Mach3 are you using? Have you tried downloading again in case it is a bad download you have? Have you disabled all of the start up apps with MSconfig?
Hood

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 06:01:30 AM »
I have seen wireless networks cause crazy things, just a thought. Have you ran the file optimization that can be found in the downloads section?

Brett 
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!