Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:52:32 PM

Author Topic: Mach3Turn gcode from CAD profile?  (Read 2618 times)

Offline B3030

•  25 25
    • View Profile
Mach3Turn gcode from CAD profile?
« on: June 24, 2014, 12:40:26 PM »
I've been using Mach3Mill with a router and mill for about 1.5 years.  I typically use a simple CAD program to output a DXF file to Vectric Cut2D, Cut3D or Aspire, which spits out gcode for Mach3Mill.

I'm now configuring a Sherline lathe for CNC.  I see the wizards in Mach3Turn, and will use them for simple parts to get started.  I also see that I can string together a series of wizard outputs.

Is there a way to convert a CAD-generated profile into gcode that Mach3Turn will accept?  As an example,  how would I create gcode for a part with many complex concave and convex curves?  I can easily create the profile in CAD, but creating it with the wizards seems like it would be much more difficult.

B3030

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3Turn gcode from CAD profile?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 02:13:10 PM »
You would need CAM for that.
There is LazyTurn from Mach but I dont think it was ever really finished and I do not know how good it is.
There are a few reasonably priced CAM packages available for Lathes, the two I have used are Dolphin and BobCAD, of the two I prefer BobCAD but Dolphin does a good job.

Hood

Offline B3030

•  25 25
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3Turn gcode from CAD profile?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 07:40:19 PM »
Thanks for the info Hood.

I really hate the learning curve that comes with a broad sw package like Dolphin or BobCAD.  I'm still overwhelmed with the Vectric sw.  I hate to pile on another.

I'm looking at CAD2Lathe and CAD2gcode.

B3030