Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:47:39 PM

Author Topic: Ezilathe - Tools for the CNC lathe  (Read 72471 times)

Ezilathe - Tools for the CNC lathe
« on: June 21, 2014, 08:48:43 PM »
This is Ezilathe, a program I have written to assist in the production of CNC code for the Lathe under Mach3.
It is a collection of useful routines including processing of DXF data into Gcode, that I have developed for my own use.
I am sure that you will find it useful as well.

The Cad tool is still under development, so is not yet fully functional, but all other tools have been in use for quite some time in my workshop.
Some of the functions can be useful for milling machine code.

Once downloaded, extract to C:\Ezilathe directory, and copy all the files from your chosen sample directory (Imperial or Metric) to C:\Ezilathe.

NOTE FOR  LATEST VERSION  OF:  PROGRAM - REPLY #43 OF THIS THREAD         DOCUMENTATION -  REPLY #47
OR
Can be found  on CNC ZONE - DOWNLOADS - POST FILES
VIDEO LINKS:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJXn46asA8
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRrqeszWXVk

MODIFIED BY RICH on 2/11/2015  2/13/15 8/30/16 6/3/17
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 03:40:46 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
Re: Ezilathe - Tools for the CNC lathe
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 07:17:44 AM »
I confirm no security risk with the download, My computer is clean, confirmed by McAfee security center
Ezilathe - User Guide in PDF format
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 02:05:41 AM »
I thought I would add the most recent version of the User guide in PDF format (virus free - Rich). Might be helpful.

Since the program was posted, I have found a couple of minor bugs, but it continues to work well for me.

Please let me know if you are having any problems with it, especially installation issues.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 09:19:34 AM »
Just had a quick look at the PDF. It will surely help in using your program.
Looks interesting and will try it out when I get a chance and give some feedback.

Manny times I will backplot the Gcode and overlay it onto the CAD drawing for checking.
Seems you have incorporated that into your program which which can be very useful.

It's nice for folks to have some options for generating lathe code.

Thanks for posting and keep up the good work,

RICH 
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 10:06:18 PM »
This is the latest version of Ezilathe.
This update includes many bug-fixes, and improvements including a new cut by cut simulator mode, and additional features to help with the production of G code for the cnc lathe under Mach3.

After the download is complete, extract the files (Both the exe and the chm files and the two sample directories) to C:Ezilathe.
If an existing installation, your original datafiles should remain usable.

For a new installation, as a minimum the file Materialm.txt from either sample directory is also required.
The other files in the sample directory are user data (a good starting point), just select from imperial or metric.

These files have been scanned with McAfee, and are Virus free. The updated PDF to follow.
Ezilathe - PDF Update
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 05:25:03 AM »
This is the .PDF to go with the program update

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 06:45:05 AM »
Excellent documentation Machtank - Thanks for sharing your Ezilathe.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 07:17:56 AM »
+1 on the documentation. While I have only just installed, and read the manual partially, it looks like it is going to be a great asset when I finally get the lathe going.
Thanks for putting it up for others to share.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 09:39:42 AM »
Hopefully some folks will try the program out so that you can get constructive feedback.

My quick review ...........

Similar to other lathe programs, in that, you have a dxf that represents your profile, can select portions or all of the profile and generate code based on your definiton of your tools. Of course the interface is different and is rather intuitive. I think the program fills in that void between using a wizard and more complex lathe programs.
I would suggest folks try it out as it much better than a lot of the free ones out there that leave much to be desired.

Good work MachTank on the program.  :)

If you need  some lathe dxf files to test out the program, see Appendix D of the LazyTurn manual to find them.
I used Sect 5 HCIR.dxf since that requires one to use different tools, is drawn accurately, etc.
Here is a link:

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,10091.0.html

Generated some code and found some minor problems with the pathing....may just be me ...thus I need to play around
more to confirm.

How i test a program like this is to generate code, see what the program is telling me ( in this case the similator ), run the code in Mach Lathe, but also backplot the code and compare to the original drawing.

RICH
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 12:13:53 AM »
Rich

Using a DXF like this one, where for each tool used, a large gap exists in the profile to be processed, some additional lines in the DXF may be required. Most DXF's do not require any additions. An advantage of having to select what is cut, is additional vectors are ignored.

2 approaches spring to mind for this job.
First approach - plunge cutting with a square ended parting tool - move the left hand faces a distance equal to the tool width (and trim excess line lengths). This can then be machined in 1 hit. I have used this method for finned cylinders. (Always leave original profile intact on another layer to check work).
Second approach (as used here) is to add 2 lines into the central slot (and break the intersecting line at the 1 inch dia). A left and right sharp knife tool may then be used to cut the profile in 2 steps.
As can be seen in the jpg, the job can be cut without gouging (also machined additional length beyond the profile to allow for parting off if reqd).
The profile was mirrored around X zero to make picking it out easier from the toolpaths.

I did find a couple of issues that need adjustment when processing imperial work, when playing with this, like the grid size of 1 inch in the dxf processor - will fix.