Hello Guest it is April 29, 2024, 06:32:45 AM

Author Topic: GRex motor tuning and general configuration ?  (Read 15351 times)

GRex motor tuning and general configuration ?
« on: March 18, 2007, 03:24:38 PM »
Hi all, my first post here. (Hopefully not the last)

I'm a CNC newbie and Mach newbie also, so please be patient with me if I ask obvious questions.

I purchased a GRex and spent the last several weekends building power supplies and wiring a test bed together.
Today I actually connected a stepper to my G203V which in turn is connected to my RGex.
I successfully flashed with the most recent firmware (March 10/2007) and can communicate with it.

I downloaded the manual(s) and tried to tune my stepper (not attached to my other hardware yet).
I know that the stepper is wired correctly because if I load one of the supplied GCode samples and run it, the stepper happily spins in both directions!

Following the motor tuning instructions I can't get the motor to spin ?

Here's what I have so far with regards to configuration.

From the Engine Configuration dialog:

Port Setup and Axis Selection
   I left everything in default settings (Nothing enabled).
Motor Outputs
   I enabled X, Y, Z, A, B, C (I will be using them all) and left all other settings at default (Step Pin=0, Dir Pin=0, Step and Dir ports = 0, Both Active high)
Input Signals
   I enabled all the Home and Limit switches and left all other settings at default (Port=0 Pin = 0)
   The GRex monitor screen shows that they are working, but how do I map them in Mach3 ?
Output Signals
   I did not enable anything but I will be using some, again how do I map them in Mach3?
Encoders
   None.
Spindle
   Defaults
Mill Options
   Defaults

Any help configuring my GRex with Mach3 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Marc.

Offline mhdale

•  130 130
  • Knowledge is the Treasure.
    • View Profile
    • Black Dragon Technologies
Re: GRex motor tuning and general configuration ?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 02:17:25 PM »
Marc,
 Any luck getting your GREX Configured? I have been trying to get mine up and running and experiencing some similar issues.

Mike
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 02:45:07 PM »
Hi Mike,

Yes and no. I've been busy finalizing my wiring so I have a nice clean setup rather than a mess of wires twisted together, so no time spent trying to get things working.
I did notice however that I can change parameters in the motor tuning page and save them for the axis. These parameters take effect if I then type in manual commands for the axis (G0 X25 for example). No luck "dynamically tuning" using the up and dn keys like described in the Mach manual.

I should have some time to work on it this weekend so I might have more to report soon.

No much help coming from this forum, there are GRex users somewhere, ... but where ?

:(

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 04:28:25 PM »
Hey Guys,
     I will send out a few PMs for you. We have some guys here that are very sharp on the G-Rex, I'm just not one of them. :( I can't gurantee a response, they have been very busy or would have replied I'm sure. I hope I can find you some help.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 05:31:50 PM »
The arrow up and down thing in the motor tunning  is not working in the plugins :( It is because you have to write it to the device and reboot to test...

We are looking at splitting up the docs and making a set for running the software and a set for setting up the software...
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline mhdale

•  130 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 06:19:17 PM »
Ok, I got my outputs working, I added an MDI Input Line and while running I output a g00 X0 And suddenly all the jog keys are giving me the correct lights etc. Perhaps something is not setup properly with the "initialization string" or somesuch.... its a bit confusing and it will be a while before I actually worry about motor tuning etc...... will keep you posted... My approach on this mess is the opposite of your marc... get it working with a mess of wires then tidy it up.... probably why my CNC machine has "noise" issue eh ;)

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 07:04:55 PM »
I am sorry i haven't been around much lately. I have been super busy! I will also have to finally take the plunge and update to the new gen firmware. Right now I am used to the little quirks and need my machine making things. I can see the light ant the end of the tunnel and i will be catching up on a lot of things that i have been neglecting.,

Chad
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 12:59:49 PM »
 :( Still no joy.

I can get the motors to turn no problem.
Inputs and outputs are really starting to annoy me!

Is there something I am missing in the configuration ?
The G100 monitoring screen shows all my inputs and limits functioning but Mach just doesn't get it.

Here is a sample configuration I am using:
Signal   Enabled     Port#   Pin Number   Active Low   Emulated     Hotkey
X++      Checked     0           9               Checked     Unchecked     0
X--        Checked     0           9               Checked     Unchecked     0
XHome  Checked     0           1               Checked     Unchecked     0

What am I missing here ???
HELP !!!
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 05:03:57 PM »
Ok then.
Since I have to figure out this stuff for myself, I'll try and help the next poor soul that comes around looking for answers.

I finally got Mach to recognize the inputs.
The port number needs to be port #1 (for the inputs at least). That works for Mach input pins 9-16 (GRex inputs 1-8).
Ill wire up the other GRex inputs (9-16) and see where they match up.

No joy on the GRex limits. I'll have to test and see if they are hardware limits handled by the GRex itself.
Mach doesn't seem to recognize them, at least not yet.

Offline mhdale

•  130 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 12:14:32 PM »
ArgoFanatic, The limits are basically the inputs above 16 same port 1. I dont have my system in front of me at this time but I too had similar issues with getting limits etc setup. X Limit is Input 17 y Input is 18 Z is 19 A is 20 B is 21 and c is 22 or something very close to that... I hope it helps....

Mike