Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:08:24 PM

Author Topic: probe guard  (Read 14499 times)

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
probe guard
« on: May 04, 2014, 05:48:26 AM »
I've been working on and off for a while on a hardware gizmo for protecting ANY probe from getting crunched. It's currently bread-boarded and under test/development. Once OK - I'll go ahead and vero one but if there's sufficient interest I may have a batch of pro boards made up once it's completely tested.

Basically it's hardware that's added into the control box and then any move that is going to crunch the probe if not stopped will throw a limit (or e-stop).

It'll protect the probe during ANY and ALL types of move, jog, rapid, feed and EVEN (but of course) G31.

I'm aware there are some software attempts at this out there but IMHO they STILL depend on the control software (Mach/LinuxCNC, whatever) not doing anything bizarre. Because this is a hardware solution entirely independent of the control software it *should* be foolproof (that's where the work is at the moment - checking, checking and triple checking).

So - over to you - any interest?

Cheers

Ian

Offline mbele

•  58 58
    • View Profile
Re: probe guard
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 06:10:49 AM »
Offcourse! Are you going to disable motor movement at breakout board ?
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 06:51:37 AM »
Sounds great, though not sure how a g31 can trigger a disable output whenever used.

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 07:24:18 AM »
Offcourse! Are you going to disable motor movement at breakout board ?

It provides a TTL logic output which you can connect to whatever you like. e.g. you could connect it into Mach e-stop or limit or you could connect it direct into your e-stop hardware - up to you really.

Sounds great, though not sure how a g31 can trigger a disable output whenever used.

Neat isn't it  ;)
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 07:27:21 AM »
Then sign me up to help in anyway. That is other than going to the airport and getting on a plane.  ;)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 12:51:22 PM »
HIYA Ian , I like it.

Do you have a flow chart of the signal monitoring and control.??I worked on a software solution as a plugin and here it works well. BUT we all know that can change from PC to PC.

I tried to explain the IMPORTANCE of such things for MACH4 BUT you know how that went (;-)

IF I can help let me know, Us probers have to stick together or else we will all be running routers in Mach4.

(;-) TP

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 01:05:37 PM »
OK I am confused HOW is it to know wether it is a GOOD trip or a BAD trip. Do you turn it ON/OFF when needed like protected movemode on commercial controllers or ???

(;-) TP

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 01:26:00 PM »
OK I am confused HOW is it to know wether it is a GOOD trip or a BAD trip. Do you turn it ON/OFF when needed like protected movemode on commercial controllers or ???

(;-) TP

It just knows  ;) - no you don't need to do anything - you connect it and forget it - it just sits there and takes care of you.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 04:59:51 PM »
(;-) You do not sell used cars in your spare time do ya ??

(;-) TP

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 03:05:52 AM »
So - over to you - any interest?
Oh, I'm interested al right. Anti-crunch on a probe is always going to be good. But I (we?) would need a few more details to see how to fit it into my interface. My eStop interface is custom you see: possibilities and benefits of course.

For reference: my old 3rd-party electronics kit started to die and was not repairable. obsolete. So I have rebuilt everything between the transformer output to the moter/encoder cables. Works fine - at last.

Cheers
Roger