Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:54:41 AM

Author Topic: probe guard  (Read 14496 times)

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
Re: probe guard
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 03:40:09 AM »
Hi Roger - at the moment I'm just wanting to gauge interest before I commit to spending more time (and money) developing it. Hardware and software solutions are how I earn my crust so it has to be worth my while. I doubt I'll be able to retire to Florida on it but hey... it's what I do.

At the moment it simply activates a TTL signal - and TBH I'm not sure what else it could do but if you have suggestions please feel free. I currently have that signal as a limit into Mach - simple as that. This of course allows you to TREAT it as a limit and jog back off it. You could of course add it into the E-Stop into Mach but I'm not sure how you'd get off it (without disabling it - and I'd like not to have to do that). Depending on your hardware you could also wire it into your hardware E-Stop - but again - getting off it might be an issue I suppose. Like I say - still under development.

Ian
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 03:42:38 AM by stirling »

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 04:28:42 AM »
Hi Ian

This of course allows you to TREAT it as a limit and jog back off it. You could of course add it into the E-Stop into Mach but I'm not sure how you'd get off it (without disabling it - and I'd like not to have to do that). Depending on your hardware you could also wire it into your hardware E-Stop - but again - getting off it might be an issue I suppose.
Ah, OK.
First point: I definitely do not want to trigger an eStop with the probe. That causes the servo drivers to lose control of the motors and the whole system has then to be completely re-zeroed. Not on!
Treating it as a Limit switch - yeah, with a LOT of macro programming. Can do, but I have higher priorities right now.

My own opinion, fwiiw: the whole concept of G31 needs to be rewritten back at the Standards level. Or maybe there should be a new G-code created. A new one might be better. To explain: I would love to be able to have (say) a light beam above my ZTO so I can come down fast to (say) 5 mm above the touch plate, then switch to a gentle crawl. That way I don't break things!

What to do about a full 3-axis probe - not sure. At the moment I have to program long slow movements to avoid breaking the probe tip (or the suspension). Maybe I can improve the optics on a video probe to sufficient resolution - maybe. Not cheap.

I remain very interested.
Cheers
Roger

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 04:56:33 AM »
Hi Roger - I think perhaps you mis-understand me or I'm mis-understanding you perhaps. I'm not asking for proposals on how this could be done - I have a fully working prototype device sat here on my bench being tested as we speak. There's nothing for you to do - no macro programming involved. From your perspective if I produce it as a finished product and you bought one - then you'd just plug it in and go.

BTW - in case I haven't made it clear it works in full 1, 2 or 3 axis moves. However you move your axis(s) with a probe attached - it protects it from crunching.

Ian

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 07:14:23 AM »
Hi Ian

Photos?
Videos?
Techie details?
Enquiring minds want to understand. :-)

Cheers
Roger
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 08:13:03 AM »
Ian,

I'm interested, but my probe crunching issues went away when I quit using the probing routine that comes with Mach3 and started using your 2.5D edge and 3D probing routine and the probing options in MachStdMill Professional Edition. I remember you were working on a new Deluxe version, so did you ever finish it? I sure would be interested in trying that also.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,4352.160.html

Thanks. Jeff

Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 09:22:28 AM »
Photos?
Videos?
Techie details?
Enquiring minds want to understand. :-)

Hi Roger

Videos will come later. At the moment I'm testing it with a simulator.

Tech details: I use two microprocessors running in parallel (one wasn't up to handling all three axes at once) to run a 3D math model representation of a probe. It models in real-time what happens AFTER a trip. By modelling WHERE the probe tip is I can compare it with the user defined mechanical limits of the ACTUAL probe and cause a limit to be thrown if necessary. This is why it can do G31 as well as all other moves. As I say - It does this in real-time for each and every step pulse in all 3 dimensions. i.e. it needs to be sh1t hot fast  ;D.

Ian,

I'm interested, but my probe crunching issues went away when I quit using the probing routine that comes with Mach3 and started using your 2.5D edge and 3D probing routine and the probing options in MachStdMill Professional Edition. I remember you were working on a new Deluxe version, so did you ever finish it? I sure would be interested in trying that also.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,4352.160.html

Thanks. Jeff

Hi Jeff

Thanks again for the kind words about my probing software and the interest here. I kinda lost the faith with the probing routines because of some Mach3 issues that were never going to be addressed because of the dev of Mach4 (understandably). Maybe I'll dig it all out at some point and re-visit it - just don't know really because they'd have to be re-done to some extent for Mach4 and at the moment I don't readilly see the info I'd need and there's only so many hours etc....

Ian
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 09:33:15 AM »
Thanks Ian,

I don't know what issues everyone is talking about with Mach3.  My system is simple and very reliable using XP with a Lava dual PP and I don't seem to have any issues. I, myself, will never upgrade to Mach4. If it's not broke, don't........

Jeff
Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 09:48:47 AM »
Projected cost?
expected beta date?
Size?
will it be packaged, need a enclosure or mounted in the Control Box?
What is needed on our end to hook up and implement?
Number of Mach3 (Mach4) Inputs used?
Probe or solid pin?
Calibration?
Plugin or vb macro?
Size of tip calculated?
Can it be used/adapted for Tool presets?
5 volt 24 volt?

Seed money (would that show you true interest)?
BETTING there is interest, just dont put any money down on that Florida condo yet.

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 10:37:37 AM »
Don't hold me to any of these - it'll never stand up in court...  ;D

Projected cost? don't know at the moment - but FAR FAR less than any decent probe - otherwise what's the point?
expected beta date? no idea.
Size? smaller than a pack of smokes?
will it be packaged, need a enclosure or mounted in the Control Box? In the control box.
What is needed on our end to hook up and implement? a small screwdriver?
Number of Mach3 (Mach4) Inputs used? 1. (not counting your probe - which you have already).
Probe or solid pin? anything you like that generates a probe signal that you don't want benterated.
Calibration? of?
Plugin or vb macro? neither.
Size of tip calculated? don't need it.
Can it be used/adapted for Tool presets? how do you mean? - it's there to stop your probe being crunched - nothing else - if you never do anything that is about to crunch your probe - it'll sit there doing absolutely nothing. you just do with your probe whatever you now do with your probe - however you do it.
5 volt 24 volt? TBD.

Seed money (would that show you true interest)? Unmarked - non-sequential - GBP - large bag of - how kind.
BETTING there is interest, just dont put any money down on that Florida condo yet. Yeah well - you know what they say about the neighbours.
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 10:50:16 AM »
Thanks for the details, 

I'm sure Terry has a room in the back you can use for your Florida getaway, he has his neighbors trained to be tolerant of his antics. Not sure they are used to SmartA__ Brits, but Hell... sounds like fun. I might just drive down and drink a few.

Looking forward to putting your efforts to work, sign me up. Just dont look for the Brinks truck to be dropping off that bag. But Ya-Nvr-No