Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:42:55 PM

Author Topic: Galil error - time out occured while waiting for a response - licensed version  (Read 10027 times)

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
You may not know this, but you cannot access a PCI card from two different applications.  Run either Mach or Smart Term.  Not both at the same time.  Maybe that is causing it.  Also, if configuring the plugin is doing it, the code may not be PCI friendly.  It has been a LONG time since I ran a bus based controller.  If that is the case, try to get the config done to the point where you can run it without having to drop into the plugin configuration.  Once it is done, you will probably just run and run and run... 

Steve
I see,  kind of like "it hurts when I walk this way" then don't walk that way! lol
I did find a setting for the board in the comunication paramaters for "stall thread". It seems to have made a differance.

Now I am stuck on getting my relays to work. Should I start a new thread?

I have my ports & pins set up per the plug-in instructions, and the outputs set in the spindle setup to = the galil outputs = my relays for fwd, rev and coolant.

The correct outputs are hot in the diagnostic screen but the actual relays are not getting hit. I do have 2 ICM-1900 as this is a 5 axis card.   Am I correct that outputs 1-8 are on the first board and 9-16 are on the second?

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
No reason for a new thread.  I'll see this one.  :)

You may have to invert the signal.  it all depends on the polarity of INCOM on the ICM.  INCOM == GND vs. INCOM == +V.  Try that and see if that gets you results.

Steve

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
Oh wait...  Outputs not Inputs!!!  Hmm...  What kind of ICM?  Opto or not?  There is an application note on Galil's site that explains the output wiring.  It is different based on the OPTO option.

Steve

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
And you are correct about the output numbers.  1-8 on 1st ICM, 9-16 on the other.

Steve

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
Ain't it fun?  I can implement a Mach/Galil combo in my sleep now but I DO REMEMBER the first time.  All I can tell you is that it will all make sense AFTER you get it done the first time.  Until then...  patience.  The patience of a Saint!!!

Steve
 Bingo   :) - turns out I do have the opto, but in taking the cover off the ICM I realized I have all those outputs on the secondary one. So I swapped the pins for 1-8 and 9-16. Now I have coolant and spindle. I have a few more challenges and I think I am ready to make chips.

1) This machine was originally a varispeed. We took off the sheaves and put on a HTD belt & VFD. I have a micro switch on the hi/lo gear lever that I used in my old setup (camsoft) to change the drive direction automatically as needed. So that is a Brain thing, yes?

2) Then I need to figure the best way to set the spindle speed in the vfd. I see a lot of discussions so I will do some more reading. I do have modbus on the drive but that is another thing I would have to learn from scratch.

3) Then I need something that will turn on the way lube only when running a program

4) Last (at least for now) I need to add a button on the screen to hit one of the outputs for an air cylinder that is on the spindle brake. And make sure it releases when the spindle goes live.