Hello Guest it is August 08, 2020, 12:02:17 PM

Author Topic: Galil error - time out occured while waiting for a response - licensed version  (Read 7731 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

I had everything working nicely with the demo, so I purchased the license. After adding the license now I get a time out error on the controller. Any ideas?

Offline smurph

*
  • *
  •  1,282 1,282
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Are you using the latest SmartTerm plugin from the website?  (galil-st).  Just adding a license should not cause anything to change other than remove the limitations of Mach.  It changes nothing as far as Galil plugin and the controller are concerned. 

Steve
Yep, everything was fresh. It makes no sense to me. I removed the license files and still no joy.

I had Camsoft installed on this machine and I know it didn't play well with Galil drivers.

Now that I am moving to Mach I am about to do a virgin install of windows and start over. Just in case.
Re-installed everything, so far so good :), I'll put the license file in again Monday. Running demo for now.

Except for 1 small thing. I have 5 tpi ball screw, 2:1 reduction on motor. Steppers micro stepped to 1000 steps per rev = 10,000 steps per inch.

If I do a G01 X -.005 and then G01 X 0 the display shows X -.0001

Offline smurph

*
  • *
  •  1,282 1,282
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Since you are using steppers (on a Galil?), check the box in the plugin that says "Use reference pos instead of actual pos".

Steve
Thanks, I'll be back at it Monday AM.

Steppers, yes long story. The machine had steppers when I did the original retrofit back in 2003 and I didn't know any better. CNC was completely new to me.

Even though I will say I do get reasonable performance out of them I see servos in my future.

Now I broke something. I was still having trouble with the Smarterm drivers. So I uninstalled Smarterm and  the Smarterm plug in and installed the Gallil Tools along with the 4.6 standard version plug in.

The motors work but the display doesn't. Tried the motor options in the plug in - no joy.

Offline smurph

*
  • *
  •  1,282 1,282
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
If you are using a PCI card, I would try going back to the smart term drivers.  Also, since there are no encoders, you really do have to use the reference positions.

What kind of problems with the SmartTerm drivers?  What firmware does your Galil have?  It is possible it needs updating.  And it could have a special firmware on it from Cam Soft (just throwing that possibility out there as I have no idea if they used a special one or not).

Also, what model Galil do you have?

Steve
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 01:37:32 AM by smurph »
Steve, I started all over and think I ultimately found I had something fubar in the profile I was using. The problem I was having was a time out when I went to configure the Galil plug in.

So now I am back to the Smarterm and updated the firmware just in case. It's a DMC-1850

I could have saved myself a lot of trouble if I had not kept re-using the same profile!



There is something else going on. I cannot pin down what it is that causes the error. It appears to be completely random. Re-booting does not seem to make a difference.

There is only a problem if I try to configure the Galil plug in. Aside from getting my steppers dialed in the motion is fine.

I am going to re-seat all the boards in the PC,  just in case and the cables conecting the board to the ICM-1900's in the machine, it has been years since I did that.