Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:19:48 AM

Author Topic: Axis Problem  (Read 4728 times)

Axis Problem
« on: April 18, 2014, 03:54:38 AM »
Hi,

I have a small problem with setting up a second servo on the far side of the Y axis as a slave.

Everything seems to work well until homing (after hitting the switch), the y axis moves away from the homing switch just fine, but the axis doesn’t stop moving away from the switch, it keeps moving until I reset

The settings set are;

A axis set as angular
 Home slave with master axis

Motor outputs:
 A axis is enabled

Ports and pins:
 A Home pin number is set the same as Y home

Slave Axis
 A Axis Slaved with Y axis

Any ideas what I may have missed?

John

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Axis Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 03:59:07 AM »
I would imagine your A axis (assuming its the slave to Y ) should not be set as angular, ie if you untick that option it will set it as a linear axis.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 04:20:24 AM »
I thought i read somewhere to set the slave axis as angular, it din't make sense at the time.

I have just changed the A axis set as linear, but no change, a axis doesn't stop after homing and moving away from the switch

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 10:16:18 AM »
When homing look at the Diagnostics screen and watch the Y and A home switches. See if the come on then go off after the axis backs off.

One thing I am assuming you do not have a physical home switch on the A, is that correct?
Hood
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 10:29:42 AM »
this is the text i found

Slaving
On a gantry type miller or router where the two "legs" of the gantry are driven by separate
motors then each motor should be driven by its own axis. Suppose the gantry moves in the
Y direction then axis A should be defined as a linear (i.e. non-rotational) axis and A should
be slaved to Y - see the chapter 5 on Configuring Mach3 for details. Both axes should have
limit and home switches. In normal use both Y and A will be sent exactly the same step and
direction commands by Mach3. When a Reference operation is performed then the axes will
run together until the final part of referencing which is moving just off the home switches.
Here they will move so that each stops the same distance off its own switch. Referencing
will therefore correct any racking (i.e. out of squareness) of the gantry which might have
occurred when the machine is switched off or due to lost steps.

it is in the mach mill doc

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 10:44:29 AM »
If you have a home switch on both the master and slave then you would need to have them on separate inputs I would think.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 12:23:25 PM »
I will add another switch onto the a axis later and see if that solves it

Thank you Hood
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 06:06:06 AM »
I have added another switch on the A Axis, What is now happening is;

Both axis move back to the zero switch, then backing off, the Y axis stops, and the A axis carries on until I do a manual reset.

Also after the reset the A Axis won't move at all (Y is fine), in order to get the A axis to work again i have  to shut down the mach 3 software and relaunch it.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 06:31:02 AM »
Please attach your xml and I will try and simulate here to see if I can find the issue.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 07:09:17 AM »
Thank you Hood