Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:50:29 AM

Author Topic: System with only X and C axis and fixed tool point  (Read 6685 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: System with only X and C axis and fixed tool point
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 05:00:38 PM »
I must be seeing this all wrong but I just cant work out why, if you want the machine to act as a  X and C axis, you have physical  X and C axes that you want to programme X and Y, why not just programme X and C?
Hood

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 07:48:56 PM »
Probably because most low end Cams cannot do that conversion (;-) so IF the machine can do it it may save a large chunk of cash. It is kinda like conversational programming Vs Cam programing.

I agree the best thing to do IS set up the machine as XC and let CAM handle it. But this is Mach3 land of the WE can do it.

Can it be done yes , should it be done, probably not.

(;-) TP

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 06:42:19 AM »

Can it be done yes.

I've somehow missed the solution to this, we're talking about a horizontal table for profiling 2.5D parts, it is interesting as it could increase the profiling envelope of a small mill with the use of a rotary table with a stepper!
Which post in the linked thread gives details of config for using a horizontal rotary, one horizontal linear axis and Z?

Ta,
Nick
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 06:46:48 AM by magicniner »

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 01:39:11 PM »
what you are talking about is what lathes with milling do when they do not have a Y axis, most lathe CAM can do XC or polar milling so lathe may be the place to look for code creation.

Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 03:55:52 PM »
what you are talking about is what lathes with milling do when they do not have a Y axis, most lathe CAM can do XC or polar milling so lathe may be the place to look for code creation.

Would a CAM package have to support live lathe tooling for polar milling to be likely to be supported?

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 02:21:35 PM »
Yes it would.
Without engineers the world stops