Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:45:11 AM

Author Topic: System with only X and C axis and fixed tool point  (Read 6683 times)

System with only X and C axis and fixed tool point
« on: April 10, 2014, 01:39:01 PM »
Hi

Is it possible to use Mach3 to create cutting / sawing machine similar as on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnap1utiJdo

The machine has fiexd wire saw (toolpoint is fixed) and two axes:
- X axis for horizontal movement
- C axis for rotary movement

The center of C axis and the tool point are aligned on X axis.

Can Mach3 handle this kind of axis configuration?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: System with only X and C axis and fixed tool point
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 04:25:42 AM »
Should not be an issue with Mach, possibly the toolpath view will not show correctly but other than that Mach will just execute the commands you send and there should not be a problem.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 06:21:40 AM »
I want to be able to input the coordinates (and shapes) in XY coordinates.

Will Mach3 be able to transform the XY coordinates to proper X-C movement of axes?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 08:31:42 AM »
If you input the moves as X and Y you will get X and Y toolpaths, you would seem to be wanting X and C from what I gather.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 09:03:25 AM »
Yes, you are right.

I want to input moves in X an Y coordinates. Then Mach3 must transform them to movements of X and C axis.

Can Mach3 handle these kind of transformations?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 12:43:40 PM »
No, if you want X and C moves you should programme X and C moves.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 01:14:49 PM »
You're really asking about CAM functionality, to expect CNC software to do the trasnform is a little optimistic ;-)
A decent CAM system will allow you to define your machine configuration, ask the players in your budget if their software will deal with this configuration and choose from the ones that will,

- Nick

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 04:04:24 AM »
I had it in mind that you might be able to do this using axis formulas (Function Cfgs). I tried it but it just produced a nonsense toolpath. A bit more diddling and either I'm doing it wrong or formulas don't work properly. Really simple ones seem to work but anything slightly complicated seems to throw it. The example on the formulas dialog implies it CAN handle more complex formulas but not here anyway. (3.43.22).

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 06:03:03 AM »
I had it in mind that you might be able to do this using axis formulas (Function Cfgs). I tried it but it just produced a nonsense toolpath. A bit more diddling and either I'm doing it wrong or formulas don't work properly. Really simple ones seem to work but anything slightly complicated seems to throw it. The example on the formulas dialog implies it CAN handle more complex formulas but not here anyway. (3.43.22).

I looked at this as well but concluded that Nick is quite right - it is really a job for the CAM software to sort out.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 12:36:45 PM »
This Wizard can do something similar to what you need. It can reconfigure MACH3 to run the rotary axis as Y directly from Gcode.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,23216.0.html

I would permantly setup the machine the same way the wizard  sets up the machine.  Then when you run teh Gcode Mach3 converts the Y linear to run as C rotary.

Just a thought, (;-) TP