Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:37:46 AM

Author Topic: Basic wiring diagram from LPT port to stepper driver?  (Read 7873 times)

Basic wiring diagram from LPT port to stepper driver?
« on: April 05, 2014, 12:33:57 PM »
Hi!

Being completely new to cnc and steppers in general, i have a very basic question which i have not found answered elsewhere (even after extensive searching).

I have wired a stepper motor and driver to a power supply as seen in the following picture:

Now i am trying to define in Mach3 which pins of the LPT port

are supposed to belong to the x axis:

In this case, the first and second pin of the LPT port are my "step pin" resp. "dir Pin".

How do i connect those pins to the driver?

My driver http://www.ebay.de/itm/CNC-Router-Single-Axis-TB6560-3-5A-2-Phase-Stepper-Motor-Driver-Board-Controller-/261160006615 has six pins still available:

EN+
EN-
DUR
DIR+
PUL-
PUL+

So, how do i connect those? Is there any basic wiing or scematic?

Yeah i know i must sound kinda stupid, as this question is probably trivial to most of you. However, i am totally lost. Please help me out!

Best regards,
Andy

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Basic wiring diagram from LPT port to stepper driver?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 01:41:28 PM »
It looks like there is a typo on the drives, it has DUR and DIR, both should be DIR.
The Pulse is the Step input, same thing just a different name.

Your drives can accept differential Step/Dir signal and it will depend how things are connected internally but likely if using single ended Step/Dir signals then you would connect either the + to your 5v or the - to 0v and the Step/Dir signals would go to the opposites.
You really need to get info from the vendor however as to which way is best.
Hood

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 01:59:17 PM »
You are missing one vital bit of kit surely - a breakout board??

This is the device that connects your parallel lead to the drives, it also provides essential isolation as it very easy to damage a parallel port.

Search for "CNC breakout board" and all should become clear.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 02:36:28 PM »
He Guys,

Thanks for the clarifiations!

@Davek0794:
I will order the breakout board today. Thought about etching it myself, however i found some nice boards using optocoupling for isolation.

@Hood:
Typos... the last thing i would have thought about. Well, i guess i got what i payed for (greeting to China). I might consider bying 'made in Germany' next time.

Best regards,
andy

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 02:41:44 PM »
One other thing, be very careful with those drives, I bought three for my build and one failed after a couple of hours, they are very low spec builds and some use cloned components, only good for low power usage. My ones were rated 5A and I was running 4A I think, they also get very hot.

I'm using the genuine items now and they do not get warm at all.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 06:45:24 AM »
Davek, thanks for your warnings! I have hugely overdimensioned my steppers and drivers for my purpose, so i hope they will be fine!

thanks again,
andy