Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:10:10 AM

Author Topic: THC Codes upset corners???  (Read 23789 times)

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
Re: THC Codes upset corners???
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2014, 05:11:44 AM »
As to Stirlings HT connector it is just a connector right ?

Nope - it's the solution to a whole legal nest of vipers. :o

I was hoping that Stirling would bring his stufF to the USA but as HOOD suggested I think he is hiding it from us (;-) Probably does not want us to pick on him.

Check your PM inbox around August 2011 Terry. That's the one where I offered you one for free in return for testing it out for me. You declined. You had the chance then to pick on me for FREE - now if you want to do it it's going to cost ya. ;D

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2014, 07:09:44 PM »
HIYA Stirling you are correct I remember the offer since you mentioned it, BUT there was not anything here to run it on at that time .  

DID you get the serial interface working to be able to talk to your THC from Mach3 ??  To be able to change the preset voltage on the fly ??  That is what is needed to do feedrate slowdowns for arcs and keep the cut quality correct. Would be a handy item to have for the hobbiest that has a bare bones plasma cutter.  An auto version that did Preset arc voltage changes on the fly based on Feedrate would be nice.  I did some mods to the CandCNC that did it.   You Help me with the programming to interface mach3 back through the CandCNC . I had to jump OUT to a VB script then bring it back into Mach3 and then back to the THC to reset the arc preset value to match a feedrate change.

THat was a WHILE back though.

Here I cut with an older HT1000 (Hypertherm)  and it does NOT have the magic plug either.

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 07:11:32 PM by BR549 »

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2014, 12:39:34 PM »
Yes - modbus. SetV can be changed on the fly either by screen control or via gcode. There's an option to use ArcOK via pin or without (freeing up a pin for G31 if you want). You can do the SetV as a function of F in the (SCam) post.

No magic about the plug - as I said - just legal begal stuff (over this side of the Pond anyway - don't know about Floyda).

Cheers Terry

Ian

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2014, 03:40:23 PM »
It would NICE for the machine to auto compensate the preset Arc Voltage by itself. That way when fine tuning with FRO it would balance itself out.

Sort of a Cruise control for the arc voltage control,

(;-)TP

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2014, 01:26:03 PM »
sounds cute Terry but I wonder if it's really practically useful.

As you know V and F are not a linear relationship so you'd have to define curve data for it to work on. Sounds like a lot of work for dubious advantage (IMHO) - less of course you can convince me otherwise.

Ian

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2014, 04:34:49 PM »
OK IF (;-)

"" You can do the SetV as a function of F in the (SCam) post."" AND it works

Why would it not work in Mach3 ?  Last I checked the V_F relationship was very close at the same "power" (AMP) setting.

Seems awhile back I did some testing on this with the CandCNC THC. I will see if I can dig up the notes again  The CandCNC unit DOES have a cut parameter TABLE that holds all the cut parameters.

I seem to remember that I monitored the F VEL  and adjusted the SetV based on F vel. about the same routine I did with a router to adjust the F vel based on the spindle RPM. As the spindle RPM slowed  it slowed down the F vel to compensate.

More thoughts came to mind::  When I loaded the Cut file Mach3 checked the ratio of the Preset Voltage to feed speed and THAT set the ratio for that cut file. THen as I FRO up and down it auto changed the preset volts to compensate .  That allowed the cut HEIGHT to remain constant with the FRO changes.

3 important things for cut quality

Constant Vel on feedrate
Constant Cut height (THC control)
Proper power level for material AND torch components

Just a thought, (;-) TP

« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 04:40:46 PM by BR549 »

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2014, 04:05:39 AM »
I'll give it some thinks and get back - gotta go.