Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 03:04:34 PM

Author Topic: What is up with my Grex/mach setup?  (Read 5736 times)

What is up with my Grex/mach setup?
« on: March 10, 2007, 02:07:05 AM »
When I run Grex-Loader I find the G100, but when I hit Launch Firmware Loader, it doesn't connect. I was able to the first time - when I updated the firmware, but after the firmware was submitted, it has never been able to go beyond the Find Gecko stage.

Here's what I did: Uunpacked my new G100, hooked up a crossover Enet cable, USB cable, installed USB drivers per the Dummies document, ran Grex-Loader, clicked Find Gecko, G100 found, changed IP & subnet, found again, followed dummies doc to the point where it asked to load second firmware. Blam... never could get to the Launch Firmware Loader again. PS - tried both crossover and going through a linksys router using regular Cat5e. Even tried a different computer. No change. Powered on/off, red light goes on for about 10 secs (I changed it when I could get into the G100). Then it goes out, no LEDs lit.

Any ideas?
Re: What is up with my Grex/mach setup?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 02:25:51 AM »
It looks like the new firmware kills the ethernet. I think what you need to do is connect to it via USB again and reinstall the old firmware (in your mach3 folder) You will have to be quick about it and get into the firmware uploader before it tries to boot. Have the unit plugged and the browser ready with the addess typed in (192.168.0.2 if you used the instructions) and try to connect to it with the power off via USB it will pop up a dialog saying it cant connect and it will have a retry bytton counting down. Hook up the grex and immediately hit the button to connect. It should connect and quickly go to the browser window and hit return on the address. It should go into the firmware downloader.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 03:59:57 PM »
I'm not sure I'm following you. I tried to connect via USB only (setup a network connection in WinXP USB->Com3). When I open this connection, I get a connected at 19.x bubble on my taskbar, but when I go to a browser to try and open the Grex, I still am getting the same unable to connect message. Did I get a hosed G100?
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 04:26:00 PM »
The problem is you have to do this thing 10 seconds of applying power to the Grex. You have to have everything open and waiting for the connect.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 05:52:04 PM »
I thought I was doing everything within the 10 sec window.Maybe I'm missing something?

These are the steps, right?

1. Take out DC power connector from Grex
2. Take out Ethernet connector
3. Take out USB connector
4. Open browser and put in the URL: http://192.168.0.2
5. Plug in USB connector
6. Plug in DC power connector
7. Click go on broswer within 10 secs
8. After trying for a few secs the browser comes back w/ cannot connect

Very frustrating!

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 07:52:10 PM »
You are missing a step. When you connect your USB cable it dont just start talking. You need to go to Start-Settings-Network Connections and then click on the icon for when you first set it up. Then it will connect to it. But you need to power up just before you do this. Then run over to the browser and hit go.
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 05:37:38 AM »
Actually, I did do that, just forgot to include it in my list of steps. Just to make sure, I went back and did everything again a few more times, including connecting to the Grex as you said. Still nothing. Any other ideas? I'm at a loss.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 08:25:41 AM »
I fought with connecting to my G-Rex for several hours.  It turned out to be that my hub was 100 MB only and my G-Rex  is it 10 MB only.  I bought a new hub that is 10 100 which solved the problem.  I was confused because I was able to connect to a one-time but now I see that there are two versions of firmware for the rabbit controller in the G-Rex. I am assuming that my original firmware download included 10 MB driver.  This weekend I will attempt to download the new firmware and plug-in.