Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:38:48 PM

Author Topic: spindle control help needed  (Read 5544 times)

spindle control help needed
« on: February 22, 2014, 02:44:08 PM »
Hope I'm in the right forum:
Been using mach3 for a long time. Installed it on a new computer, still running XP. Been using spindle stop/start, m3, m5, f5 to toggle the spindle for some time. On the new computer I've got trouble. Seems m3 and m5 work but f5 only starts and stops the spindle once. After that the yellow spindle indicator continues to blink yellow and spindle control is lost. MIDI m3 and m5 still work. Some glitch in the software is causing me trouble. Once again, f5 toggles the spindle on or off only once and then becomes ineffective. M3 and m5 always work. Help.
I posted this idea twice by mistake. Sorry.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:55:03 PM by jpeter »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: spindle control help needed
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 03:28:32 AM »
Hi Jim,

It is possible that you have a bad installation of Mach3 or a bad .xml file.
Try re-installing Mach3 (perhaps the same version you have been using previously) and see if that cures the problem.

Tweakie.

(n.b. I deleted your other post to keep any other suggestions etc. within the one thread).
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 01:28:25 PM »
Thanks for the comment and thanks too for the deletion. I hate to do a reinstall but the tought has occured to me.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 04:55:36 PM »
Well did the reinstall. Still troubled.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 05:31:05 PM »
What version of Mach are you using? Also attach your xml and I will see if I can replicate here.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 03:04:21 PM »
Version r3.043.066.
I Changed the extension to .txt so I could attach it. I see that's not a allowed file type either but I'm gonna try it anyway.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 03:56:53 PM »
Ok I am not sure exactly how you are controlling the spindle speed but I think your problem may lie in your spindles motor tuning. It is set to very low values and the 1 step per rev would seem to be the problematic one.
If you set a more realistic values there I think it will work for you. What exactly you should set will depend on your spindle controller.

Hood
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 05:14:12 PM »
Good job Hood. That fixed it. Surprised me. I thought cuz I was only starting a vfd the motor tuning didn't count. I wonder if I'd waited longer if the motor would have started? Anyway, it's work'n now and that's whats counts. Thanks again, I'm forever greatful.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 05:19:15 PM »
If you are simply controlling the start/stop then you do not need the "Use Spindle Motor Outpurt" option chosen in Ports and Pins, Spindle Setup and that would mean Motor Tuning has no effect on things.

Hood
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 05:34:48 PM »
Good point. Yeah, I disabled the spindle motor tuning option and the spindle still works. So having spindle enabled in motor tuning was basically the problem all along. Thanks,