Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:02:49 PM

Author Topic: X Limit switch challenges  (Read 9621 times)

X Limit switch challenges
« on: February 22, 2014, 09:51:27 AM »
Yeah, I'm a nooby, My machine doesn't look like much but it's allowing me to get a feel for the  software and coordinate systems. My current challenge is using the Home switches. The Y axes homes and moves off the switch. The X axes hits the switch and just stops. It does not move off the switch. I've checked Configs and home limit settings but there doesn't seem any difference there between the axes.
I've changed the X axes switch thinking maybe a bounce or momentary contact in the switch was the cause. That didn't fix it. Any suggestions would be a big help.

Thanks.....gldfshrdr
Re: X Limit switch challenges
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 10:09:23 AM »
Greetings gldfshrdr,

Firstly, set the debounce in Config to 1000 and try again. If that helps, reduce the setting until it craps out again, then increase it slightly.

Russ
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 01:25:32 PM »
Thanks Russ. I went to "Input signal debouncing / debounce interval and set it to 1000. Didn't make a difference. Do I have to change the Index Debounce also?

Trouble shooting:

I verified connections between the LPT! and IDC connector on the controller.
Touched up the solder points on the Controller.
swapped Y motor for X motor and it behaved the same way. And verified Y motor still reacted normally when swapped back.
I checked the Config and found X and Y config is identical.

Thanks......gldfshrdr

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 02:00:06 PM »
In 'Ports&Pins" under inputs, do you have home and limits enabled for each axis or just home? Do you have both types of switches on the machine now?
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 02:52:11 PM »
I have had it both ways and didn't make a difference. Currently it's Home switches only.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 02:59:06 PM »
Are the home switches at the end of travel of the axis or is it in the middle somewhere?
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 03:28:10 PM »
At the end pf  travel.
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 01:34:58 PM »
Using the Diagnostics screen, when the Y limit is hit, just the limit LED lights up. When the X limit switch is hit, both the Limit and the Estop light up.
I had given the Estop the pin number (10). That's the pin for the X axes limit switch.

Lesson learned: Trust the Diagnostics screen.

Thanks for help Fastest1.......gldfshrdr
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 01:43:15 PM »
Easy to do.
Glad you got it figured out.

Good luck,
Russ
Re: Limit switch problem
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 03:19:33 PM »
Hi, i am new to cnc and have a problem i need some help with please. I need help with my limit switch problem?
I`m new to cnc and this forum, i have built a router and controller but can only get it to work without limit switches pluged in.
My settup,
4 steppers, one slaved to the y axis.
E stop wired NO on pin 10
limit switches, 2 each axis all 6 wired NC in series on pin 11. Active low.
The problem, the nachine will only run if the limit socket on my controller is not pluged in as soon as i plug it in even with machine idle but under mach control  the reset button comes on and advises limit activated.
I have tried limits active high, no result.
i am getting very frustrated with this, the machine runs well without the limits pluged in but i do not want to run the risk of machine damage if i get a problem, i also want to use the same switches for homing but i need the limit problem solved, new to this so to solve one problen at a time.

Hope i can get some help.
Best wishes to all.
Billy