Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:27:47 PM

Author Topic: Limit rapid speed from a digital input  (Read 6130 times)

Limit rapid speed from a digital input
« on: February 17, 2014, 08:37:12 PM »
I have door switches that stop the spindle if you open the doors on the mill, to protect my grandson.  I'd really like to be able to limit the rapids to a slow speed when the doors are open too.  The machine could easily crush a hand with a quick move, but you need to reach in sometimes to locate a part. When the doors are closed the rapids should be whatever they are set for.  Is this possible?

Thanks,

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Limit rapid speed from a digital input
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 02:58:49 AM »
Yes, just make a brain or use the macropump to look at the state of the input and if it is active write whatever % you wish to the rapid override DRO, if Inactive then write 100% to the Rapid Override DRO.
Hood

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 04:47:00 AM »
I may be wrong here but the one detail I see is that I don't think you can change the speed of a rapid that's already executing. i.e. when you open the door, if there's a rapid in motion it won't slow down but the next one will. Maybe not an issue to you but thought I'd mention it.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 05:31:14 AM »
Not here Ian, I can reduce the rapid whilst in motion and it does and that is on all my machines.
Maybe you have No FRO on Queue checked?
Hood

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 05:53:58 AM »
Hmmmm - Nope - I don't have No FRO on Queue checked. I have 50 in my rapid override DRO and whilst doing a 10000mm/min rapid I click the rapid override button and it doesn't reduce the rapid but it does reduce the next one. Also if I try it with rapid override already checked and change the value in the DRO during a rapid that doesn't come into effect until the next one either. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

PS - I also notice my rapid override DRO is unit/min not a %.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 06:34:36 AM »
Sure its not the DRO below the slider that is marked Units Per Min?

I have the Rapid locked to FRO but cant see that making a difference.

Hood

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 08:16:13 AM »
LOL - I think I see what's going on. I think you're talking about the slider (DRO 223) on the program screen labelled "Rapid FRO" which is indeed a % and I'm taking about the DRO (104) on the settings screen labelled "Rapid Override Rate" which is in units/min. Yours does what you say and mine does what I said.

To make things even more confusing, in the OEM spreadsheet your "Rapid FRO" is called "Rapid Override" and my "Rapid Override Rate" is called "Rapid Feedrate" so the opposite of the screen labels.

All that said - I always thought there were rapid moves and feedrate moves so WTF Rapid Feedrate is supposed to mean I don't know - particularly as it doesn't affect feedrate in any way. Problem is then that you have your DRO (slider) and my DRO which BOTH override RAPIDS (not feedrates) but do it in different ways (% vs units/min) at different times (now and later).

This is the second time in two days I'm going to say "dog's breakfast". ;D

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 08:29:58 AM »
I dont have the slider on my screens, I have the DRO (OEM 223)
See screenshots.
The one you are talking about is the actual rate that the Rapid will be moving at after you have set a %
Hood

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 09:08:55 AM »
LOL - You've displayed DRO 223 on your screenset as a DRO but the standard set formats DRO 223 as a slider - i.e. they're the same thing. a slider is just a DRO that's drawn taller than it is wide - so just strike out the word "slider" in my previous post.

Anyway look - you were right. (But so was I - depending on WHICH DRO called Rapid Override you choose (223 or 104)) But then you were REALLY right because you said % whereas the other Rapid Override DRO is units/min.
Still - at least garyhlucas now knows to use the rapid override DRO rather than the rapid override DRO in his macropump or Brian.  ;)

Ian

EDIT:
The one you are talking about is the actual rate that the Rapid will be moving at after you have set a %
Nope. like I said above, I'm talking about DRO 104 on the settings screen of the default set. You can change the DRO directly and it does what I said above...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 09:31:27 AM by stirling »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 09:43:47 AM »
Ha ha but DRO 104 is Rapid Feedrate DRO which to me means it is showing the actual rate in Units per Min (if in G94) that the axis is moving after you have applied a Rapid Override % ;D

BTW OEM 223 was originally a standard looking DRO, just when the slider fad came on the go it was also capable of using that.

Anyway for Gary if he writes to OEM 223,  with the % of his rapid that  he wants, it will do as he wants :)

Hood