Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:02:57 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 and Gecko540  (Read 6183 times)

Mach3 and Gecko540
« on: February 07, 2014, 10:07:30 AM »
Good Morning Everyone!

I'm looking for someone who either has a gecko540 controller configured for Mach3 to run a chinese YOCNC 3040 desktop router,

OR,

someone who can configure a gecko540 controller and cables for me.   

After running one project on the provided controller box - it's shot.  Immediately called Gecko and IMMEDIATELY realized (with the help of a great tech rep) that I don't have the skill set to configure it.   :-\

If anyone can help me with this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks everybody.

Joe
(469)363-0651

Offline JMF

•  62 62
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 and Gecko540
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 07:59:15 PM »
What's shot the Gecko 540 ?

I'm using  Gecko 540 with a Huanyang VFD Drive, but the only thing the Gecko 540 is doing is controlling the VFD speed through Mach3, there's not much else the G540 will do with drives, it's main function is stepper controller.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 10:14:13 PM »
   No I talked to him.

The original controller burnt up. Chinese not a Gecko.

He is so frustrated with the company he wants to go with a Gecko due to their reputation. Upon talking to gecko he believed the repair was over his head. I tried to encourage him to reuse what he can (case, power supply and steppers) and install the G540 where the Chinese controller was. He didnt feel confident but i assured him thru this site and a little patience we could get it done. I also referred him to a local hackerspace in the DC area and assured him that for a small donation possibly he could find an interested party to help him. Hopefully he allows them or us to help him rather than pay money to someone else.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 10:52:59 AM »
Thanks for the call John - very helpful scoop indeed.

On thinking about it a bit, I just don't have the time or expertise to configure this afterall!

So if there's anyone in the community here who can help with setting the whole thing up and shipping it down that would work just fine.  I can either ship a Gecko to someone who can help or can buy a used one from someone who has the gear already.

Thanks Everybody.

Joe
(469)363-0651

Offline JMF

•  62 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 07:05:37 PM »
JoeWinslow - If I lived locally to you, I would have been happy to help you set it up, don't give up, I knew nothing about any of this a little over a year ago and now I have a very nice CNC Router, you can do it, just one step at a time.

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 09:09:57 PM »
Joe, I really feel bad for you guys who get the short end of the stick with these cheap import machines that jut don't work. It is hard for someone else to jump in and refit your controller from afar as it requires a lo of hands on work. If you can send me some pictures of your controller the specs on the stepper motors and any other boards or other things involved I'll see if I can help. My website is www.soigeneris.com, email birt_j@soigeneris.com
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 10:50:26 PM »
Jeff, he just didnt feel like he had the time or the abilities. I assured him he was capable and that in the long run it would be beneficial.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 11:54:05 AM »
What I was trying to get at is that it will take some investigation, picture taking, etc. from the owner so that the guy making the upgrade kit knows what is what. On an older machine the challenge is that the documentation for the machine was likely lost, on a new cheap import machine the problem is that the documentation is mostly non-existent from the start.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 05:23:39 PM »
He is willing to ship the whole unit to whoever.
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 10:01:05 AM »
Thanks Guys - boy do I appreciate the help.   I ordered a brand spankin' new gecko 540 yesterday.   When it comes in I'll touch base with you all asap.

Have a great day.